Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gas pressure for pool heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Gas pressure for pool heater

Hi all, I contacted my local gas co. And the person on the phone said I have 7-inw rated gas pressure?
    They were not sure how to convert that to psi?
    Does anyone know how to convert inw to psi or whatever?
    If noone knows I will call and ask for an engineer to call me
    Tried google but no luck
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gas pressure for pool heater

Are we talking propane or natural gas? I wonder if they are referring to vaporization rates for propane tanks? Your tank must be large enough to keep it from frosting up. Large pool heaters need a large enough tank to keep the gas from getting too cold when it is vaporizing. That might be what they are talking about.
    John (DIYer). Concrete, approximately 13,000 gallon in-ground pool with adjoining concrete spa. Approximately 40 years old. Hayward Super II pump for pool and legacy Anthony Sta-Rite bronze pump CF6 for spa, VA-26 filter,(2 sets), Rheem propane heater for spa. HASA Liquidator for pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

How many cubic feet can your meter give you. You'll get just under 100K BTUs per hundred cubic foot. A decent manometer will have both scales. As for plumbing, this is not a DIY job. You need a certified Gas plumber.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Multiply inches of water column by 0.036 .
    One PSI is equal to 27.7 inches of water column.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

5. Back To Top    #5

well, if i am doing the math correctly thats .252 so i am thinking its 1/4 lb service, man i was hoping for at least 1/2 lb
    the engineer is supposed to call me but it looks like the upgrade might not be free as customer support said the engineer would tell me how much?
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Tell them you are planning to add a whole house generator too... That should bring up demand and prompt them to give it to you free. Worked for me!
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

If your gas line(to the pool heater) is sized properly, just tell the gas co. that you are adding 400,000 to the gas demand on the property. They(the gas co.) should know what size to install. You don't need to confuse things by involving an engineer.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

8. Back To Top    #8

They replaced my meter when I told them I was putting in a 400k gas heater. On top of my 125k btu furnace, two 40k btu fireplaces, hot water heater and stove. They dropped in a new meter at no cost that could handle 1 million btu's. All are working fine.

9. Back To Top    #9

Gas pressure for pool heater

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown
    You don't need to confuse things by involving an engineer.
    Hey easy on the engineer's
    I don't have a choice, he will be installing it also

10. Back To Top    #10

I wondered about this when I built my pool. Centerpoint, our local natural gas utility, wouldn't do it for free--and I tried. They wanted $375 to install a larger meter. I passed and it hasn't been a problem. The gas plumber who installed my pool heater said I would only need the larger meter if I was running every heater in my house (being in Houston I rarely do), my gas fireplace, my gas grill, and all six burners on my stove top all at the same time. I figured it was overkill and I was right.

But if they'll do it for free, why not?
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit