Threaded deck hole + umbrella

txtodd

May 4, 2010
Hi, I'm hoping to use a threaded pool deck hole I have to secure a pretty standard 9' patio umbrella I picked up recently.

Is there some sort of an adapter, sleeve I need to buy? Searching has been tough for this, I guess the threaded holes were intended for other uses...

Thanks.

txtodd, I think you are on the right track.
When you get home, can you also post the measurement for your umbrella pole? I am guessing it is 1-1/2 or 1-3/4, but want to be sure!

Bama, do you think a PVC adapter will hold up against a big gust of wind? Seems like it could cause a lot of torque on the base. If the hole is, in fact 1-1/2 in, it seems like there should be a metal fitting/adapter that could be used.

Those PVC adapters are pretty tough, but a big gust of wind and a long pole would snap it off. You could use a threaded to socket copper fitting if you wanted something metal. Or if the will fit inside a 1½" pipe you could just use a nipple threaded on one end.

How deep is the hole? Just slip the umbrella pole into the hole, and shim it if it leans too much for your liking. gust of wind will break PVC fitting. Galvanized will rust, and i don't think you want to know the price for a brass fitting. That hole is probably for an umbrella, and the threaded end was possibly to fit it with a threaded cap during the winter months.

ROB N said:
If it is threaded it could possibly already have a sleeve in the hole already. The threads could be for the cap. Can you post a pic?

Believe that is the case Rob thanks. Put my umbrella in there and it's fairly snug, but it gets pretty windy at times, so a fitting would be ideal. Will shim until then...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.