Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand coming out of filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand coming out of filter?

I have a question regarding sand coming out of the filter and into the pool. I have an awesomely clear pool thanks to following everyone's advice and now that the water is clear I can see every spec of dirt. What my question is about is there seems to be a daily addition of sand to the pool in excess of dirt coming from trees/etc. is it typical that sand will flow from the filter and into the pool? If it does, what is excessive and is there any countermeasures to help?

I appreciate anyones advice or information!

Steve
    17,000 gal. (27' round) with Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter 250L, Hayward 1.5 HP pump, 70 GPM

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Sand coming out of filter?

Hey Steve,

Here are a couple things you can check on.. you could have potentially pinched the spider gasket in the backwash valve. Another possibly is a broken a lateral in the filter itself. Either of these can be replaced..but definitely check on them first to avoid spending money unnecessarily.

3. Back To Top    #3

Take a knee-hi stocking and position over the return and let it sit while the pump is running. That will tell you if it's coming from the filter or not.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Bama,

I will do that tonight - pending what I find I will then have to investigate the filter and replace parts as needed.

You guys are just too awesome!
    17,000 gal. (27' round) with Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter 250L, Hayward 1.5 HP pump, 70 GPM