Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I need to decide on speakers today

1. Back To Top    #1

I need to decide on speakers today

Get some Yamaha NS-AW350W for $85 or Jamo I/O 3A2 for $180 at dealer cost.

The Jamos are only 5.5 woofers and the Yamahas are 6.5 88 vs 87db and 40/80 and 40/130 power output.

I don't need audiophile sound as i am playing iTunes and Pandora by the pool at now to mid levels. But I want CLEAR and depth in the sound.
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains
    Pool's completed build 2/2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I need to decide on speakers today

We installed 4 of these http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-AW39...846605&sr=8-11 Yamahas last weekend. The sound quality is awesome for the money. I'm very pleased with them. Now I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money on any of the others we considered. I actually purchased ours from tigerdirect.com, but their site seems to be down this morning. It could be my crazy computer though.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have Yamaha speakers mounted outside and they sound great, if you correctly match the amp to the speakers mine freak'n rock and sound great. I don't remember the exact model offhand it in general Yamaha makes nice speakers.
    The other speaker you listed I have never owned.
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Highlandreef
    I have Yamaha speakers mounted outside and they sound great, if you correctly match the amp to the speakers mine freak'n rock and sound great. I don't remember the exact model offhand it in general Yamaha makes nice speakers.
    The other speaker you listed I have never owned.
    Pic of the jamo

8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains

5. Back To Top    #5

I am using some insignia rock speakers from BB. They do a really good job for around 100, and can blend in.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I am a fan of Yamaha...but never used/heard Jamo speakers..

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Gio
    Get some Yamaha NS-AW350W for $85 or Jamo I/O 3A2 for $180 at dealer cost.

The Jamos are only 5.5 woofers and the Yamahas are 6.5 88 vs 87db and 40/80 and 40/130 power output.

I don't need audiophile sound as i am playing iTunes and Pandora by the pool at now to mid levels. But I want CLEAR and depth in the sound.
    Not trying to hijack this, but has anyone used wireless speakers that don't suck?

I am also don't need audiophile sound outside. I was thinking of the Rocketfish wireless speakers but I really don't know.

8. Back To Top    #8

definitive technology aw5500 or aw6500 super great clear as can be wide sound stage and awsome bass.......
    18 by 36 mountain lake, swg aqua plus, cartgidge filter, two speed tristar 1hp, 1hp super pump for deck jet n waterfall, espio alarm, aquabot jr, Definitive Tech Aw6500 speakers, Onkyo receiver

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jeepercrna
    definitive technology aw5500 or aw6500 super great clear as can be wide sound stage and awsome bass.......
    Too much for my budget.

10. Back To Top    #10

My installer is recommending 4 speakers for my deck area.
    It's 45x28 with the pool. 110w rms amp pushing the yamaha speakers.

What do you guys think?

11. Back To Top    #11

This is the set up I went with. I don't have them hooked up yet but I will by the end of the week. I don't remember the total cost but I bought all of it wholesale from a friend for around $1400.

Onkyo TX-8050 Network Stereo Receiver
    Onkyo M282B Stereo Amplifier
    Niles Audio HPS4 High power 4 Zone speaker selector
    4-Niles Audio VCS 100R High Wattage volume controls
    2-Niles Audio RS8Si Rock Speakers
    Niles Audio OS5.3Si
    Niles Audio OS6.3Si
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed 3HP, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

12. Back To Top    #12

For those not familiar with this site, I wanted to share - http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/

Excellent source for affordable speakers. They have all kinds of speakers. I am using the AP640 speakers for my pool area and they are great. I do A/V Home Theater installs on the side and have used their speakers on a number of jobs with great results. You simply can't beat the quality for the price point. Fast shipping too...
    25,000 gal plaster IG
    DE Filter
    Jandy SWG, 2.0hp Jandy Stealth pump
    DFW Area

13. Back To Top    #13

I just ordered some of those Yamahas and am wondering what you guys think would be the best receiver to get. I am not looking to blow out the neighborhood, just want quality sound for our 40x30 pool deck. Ideally, under $200 and with inputs for laptop / Droid phone / iPod. Any suggestions?
    13,500 gallon AGP. Sand Filter. Swimmax Electric Heater

14. Back To Top    #14

Pretty much any receiver with over 50W/ch will do. Since dB are on an exponential scale, most of the sound you will get out of those speakers will be within the first 10W. After that, the difference in output is relatively minor. For each doubling of power, you get a 3 db increase in sound output. I've seemed to collect a bunch of rather nice Dolby Pro surround receivers that are great for this application. These were replaced with newer 7.1 channel receivers for home theater use. I actually think most older receivers have better sound because they only had to pack 2 channels into an IC, whereas now they have to pack 7+ channels into their ICs to be able to supply all that other functionality for a reasonable cost. If you or friends don't have an old stereo or Dolby Pro surround receiver, you can probably find one at a garage sale or on eBay for cheap. There are still new ones too. Obviously, you don't need a 7.1 channel receiver for this application. Integrated amps, though typically more expensive, are also an option. Also Outdoor Speaker Depot sells small integrated amps for a decent price that will work well and have plenty of inputs.

BTW, on older receivers or integrated amps, you will typically have tape, CD, aux and phono inputs. The former three can all serve as independent sources via connection of your iPod, Squeezebox, computer soundcard, etc. via RCA cables. However, the phono input should be avoided, as it runs at a different impedance and has an RIAA equalization filter that will significantly alter the sound of one of these newer types of inputs. The rest should be fine for your use.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

15. Back To Top    #15

For future readers, I picked up a pair of these and am quite impressed:
    http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-KHO-7-Out ... 334&sr=1-1
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by demarco

Not trying to hijack this, but has anyone used wireless speakers that don't suck?

I am also don't need audiophile sound outside. I was thinking of the Rocketfish wireless speakers but I really don't know.
    I use a Logitech Squeezebox Radio, which is a network music system, so not exactly the same as wireless speakers. I have been a Squeezebox user for a long time and was thrilled when they came out with a portable player. I have been through a multitude of trials and tribulations with pool-side audio (including wireless speakers that sucked) and this is my favorite solution by far. I unplug the Radio from my bathroom and carry it with me out to the pool, where I control it by remote or with my iPod touch. I have the battery back so it's just one thing to carry. I keep it sync'd with the other Squeezebox players in my house so when I go outside I can pick up listening to whatever I was playing inside. The cost of one Radio is in range of most wireless speakers, but it is a whole lot more flexible. I wrote a little more about the Squeezebox system in this thread.
    Sue

18' round Sharkline Matrix AGP / 8600 Gal. / sand filter / Aqua Trol SWG
    Pool owner since 2001. Thanks to TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by NullQwerty
    For future readers, I picked up a pair of these and am quite impressed:
    http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-KHO-7-Out ... 334&sr=1-1
    Best Buy had these up through yesterday for $199. I almost pulled the trigger, but read on Crutchfield that they don't recommend mounting to cedar siding. So I was contemplating other options, like mounting in a couple oak trees on the other side of the pool, or going with rock speakers. Still undecided.
    24000 Gal, 18x36 Vinyl
    Hayward Super Pump
    Jacuzzi Tri Clops Cartridge Filter
    Heat Siphon Heat Pump

18. Back To Top    #18

I picked up the same Klipsch (KHO-7) last year for the deck. Extremely pleased with the results.. actually received a number of compliments on them.
    Got them at BB on sale as well. Follow the directions in choosing the mounting location. You'll be surprised at how much bass a small(ish) outdoor speaker can have.

Best of luck in your search.

Respectfully,
    Panzer
    8500 gal. (15'x24') Zodiac AG, Hayward Perflex DE filter system w/ 1 hp pump,
    Nature2 sanitizer, Rheem105K BTU NG Heater
    TF-100 + Oakton pHTestr 30

19. Back To Top    #19

I have (2) pair of Polk Atrium 45's and (1) pair of Yamaha NS-AW150's. Total investment for all 6 speakers = $250. I really like the polks ($99 pair), but the Yamaha's are not as good, but got them on clearance for ($49 pair). All run with white lamp cord for speaker wire and works great for a full backyard music environment (XM, Pandora, etc).

20. Back To Top    #20

I've got these BOSE outdoor speakers. I've got 4 surrounding the pool (2 viewable here). I really like them. When you crank them up, it certainly surrounds the pool. They were ideal for me since I wanted to bury them into the deck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit