Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: For those who have battled black algae....

1. Back To Top    #1

For those who have battled black algae....

I'm waiting on my updated test kit, but I have a question for those who have battled black algae before. At the start of the season I had these quarter size black splotches on the bottom of my pool. I started scrubbing and shocking and they've slowly turned a brownish color. I'm still scrubbing the heads off (until there is a round hole in the middle of the algae) twice a day. I've noticed that after I shock that these little splotches start to look a little fuzzy and then when I brush they seem to come off a lot easier than they did before I shocked. Is this typical of black algae?
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: For those who have battled black algae....

It is not very typical for black algae to appear in a vinyl pool. Way back, I remember reading that there are over 7,000 species of algae so what you have may not be the traditional black algae that we think of as being so difficult to remove.

That said, you obviously have a stubborn strain of algae and it sounds like you are doing the right thing to get rid of it.....chlorine, scrub, chlorine, scrub, chlorine, scrub.

Even when it is visible removed from your pool, I would run FC about 50% higher thn normal for probably 10 days or so in case any was still lingering.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: For those who have battled black algae....

Thanks Dave. I know that it's working. I just wish it were perfect already but it is so much better than when we started.
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed