For those who have battled black algae....

Mar 18, 2012
Amarillo, Texas
I'm waiting on my updated test kit, but I have a question for those who have battled black algae before. At the start of the season I had these quarter size black splotches on the bottom of my pool. I started scrubbing and shocking and they've slowly turned a brownish color. I'm still scrubbing the heads off (until there is a round hole in the middle of the algae) twice a day. I've noticed that after I shock that these little splotches start to look a little fuzzy and then when I brush they seem to come off a lot easier than they did before I shocked. Is this typical of black algae?

It is not very typical for black algae to appear in a vinyl pool. Way back, I remember reading that there are over 7,000 species of algae so what you have may not be the traditional black algae that we think of as being so difficult to remove.

That said, you obviously have a stubborn strain of algae and it sounds like you are doing the right thing to get rid of it.....chlorine, scrub, chlorine, scrub, chlorine, scrub.

Even when it is visible removed from your pool, I would run FC about 50% higher thn normal for probably 10 days or so in case any was still lingering.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.