Pump tripping breaker - any ideas?

Sep 21, 2011
This is our first season with the pool (bought the house after it was closed last fall). I am trying to get the pool flowing today. I replaced all the plugs in the system, removed the plugs from the returns, checked all the seals, and then filled the pump basket with water. However, when I went to start the pump, it buzzed for 5 seconds and then tripped the breaker. I have tried a few more times, all with the same result. It is a Hayward pump.

Any ideas? Did I miss something? Is the pump bad? Is there something else I can try? Any info would be very welcome!

Thanks!

Have you tried turning the shaft by hand? If you can then it sounds like a bad motor. It could be the start capacitor and if it's in fairly good shape otherwise, it's worth changing it to see if that's it.

Bama Rambler said:
Have you tried turning the shaft by hand? If you can then it sounds like a bad motor. It could be the start capacitor and if it's in fairly good shape otherwise, it's worth changing it to see if that's it.

Sorry - I'm brand new to all of this. What is the shaft? Is that inside the pump motor itself? I was thinking of taking that off the assembly to see if things are moving freely. Is that what you are suggesting?

It may just need bumped to get it spinning the first time. I had one that went that way for several seasons. It would start the first time until I reached in and move the impeller (with the power off!) and then it ran fine all season.

Ok - more info...

I took the motor off and the part that spins (is that the impeller and/or shaft?) is moving freely with no issues at all. When I go to fire it up, I get a buzz/humm noise with no movement in the motor. After about 3-5 seconds, it trips the breaker.

If, however, I turn the power switch off before the breaker trips (after 1-2 seconds of the buzzing), the switch arcs when I shut it off.

Any ideas?

Can you have a pump serviced?

Topics merged to provide continuity. Please keep related post in the same topic. Bama

I posted, earlier, about a pump that won't start. Can I take that pump in to be checked/serviced? If so, who does that? A pool shop? Someone else?

Thanks!

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I took it into a pool store and they are supposed to get back to me in the next day or two. We'll see what they say. I can't seem to find a line on a replacement motor on its own, but an entirely new unit is $360 online. so I'm not apt to put a fortune into this one. We'll see!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK - so, now I'm working on Plan B (if it turns out the motor is not worth repairing)...

I can buy the entire assembly (same as the current model) for $360 online. But, the only thing that needs to be replaced is the motor. However, I can't figure out how I would know what motor to buy (the model number doesn't show up anywhere). I see some that look right, but don't know if they actually are. So...

Can I buy the motor and replace it alone?
How would I make sure I got the right motor?

Again, thanks to all who are pitching in and helping me try to understand. I'm quite frustrated that my first effort to use the pool is revealing these issues - I'm starting to think this is why the owner closed the pool so early last year!

Bama Rambler said:
The motor model number is on the dataplate. If you'll take a picture of it we can tell you what model it is.

Unfortunately, I don't have the motor at this point, but, I got some of the info before I dropped it off. It's a Hayward. The pump model number is sp2607x10. That I can find in plenty of places (it is still a current model with Hayward).

However, the model number on the motor is C48K2N143B1. That, I can't seem to find anywhere.

It seems as though I could get something like this...http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupplies/poolmotors/emerson/haywardtristar/products/EB853.htm. However, I'm having trouble figuring out how to make sure it is exactly the right model.

I apologize for my ignorance and appreciate your patience!

Ok - I think I may have it?!?

I looked up the model at the Hayward site and that led me to a parts list they have for that series online. It says that the 1hp motor (which is what mine is) is model number SPX1607Z1M. This does not match the model number I pulled from the plate on the motor, but the stats seems to match. So, it looks like this would be what I need...http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/pool...ies16001600x26002600x/products/SPX1607Z1M.htm.

Does that look right? If it is, the shop wants $90 to even work on the unit (not to mention any parts or additional costs). I'm thinking I'd be better off to just buy a new motor and be done with it.

Bama Rambler said:
It looks like it. Bump this tomorrow and I'll look it up.

Thanks SOOO much. You've been a tremendous help. I really want to be able to enjoy this pool, and this forum is slowly helping me get through the minefield of my ignorance! I truly appreciate the help you have provided.

Bama Rambler said:
That is the right motor but you can get it cheaper at [url]www.pumpwarehouse.com[/url]. You need either a ST1102 if you want to stay with a single speed or a STS1102R if you want to change it to a 2-speed to save money on electric costs.

Ok - final step (I think). I have officially gotten word from the shop that the motor is fried, so I will be replacing it (I feel bad not paying them to do it after looking at my motor, but they want $389 for a unit I can get for $150 online!!). So, now to hammer out the detail and get this ordered today...

We pay $0.16-$0.17 per kWh (it varies). At this rate (based on my best understanding of all of this), we would save roughly $30 per month on energy costs (12 hours at low speed instead of 8 at high). At that rate, it will take 1.5 to 2 seasons to make up the extra costs of the pump and switch. Probably worth it. Since I'm replacing the motor anyway, now is the time to make the change. However, if I do it, I would need to choose a switch. There seem to be three options:

1) Buy an additional timer that is installed in the circuit between the on/off timer and the motor (around $125)
2) Replace the current timer with a unit that controls both power and speed (around $185)
3) Buy a hard switch that can be adjusted manually at the pump (don't know the cost, because I can't seem to find what this would need to be).

Due to the fact that my timer is inside the house (in the basement), I tend to lean towards the hard switch so that I can have easy access to it for vacuuming, backwashing, etc... It would also be less expensive, and an easier install. However, I'm having trouble figuring out where to find such a switch, and I want to make sure I'm on the right track. Does this switch choice make sense? If so, any suggestions on what would work?

Also, do you agree that the dual speed motor makes sense? Are there any electrical considerations I need to be worried about?

There's a part of me that simply wants to order the same exact thing in order to assure ease of installation, but I want to make the bets decision for the long run. I welcome any insights anyone might have!

Thanks again!!

I would go with the switch too. What you need is a DPDT (double pole, double throw) center off switch. They're pretty common and shouldn't be hard to find.

There are a couple different ways to hook it up depending on how you want to operate it. Letting the timer operate it and switching between hi & lo manually is the simplest.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.