Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pump tripping breaker - any ideas?

Re: Pump tripping breaker - any ideas?

If it were me, I would take the motor to one more place to be tested before I replaced it. When it spins freely but hums and blows the breaker, it is usually the capacitor, which is about a 15 minute repair job and a $25 part. Worth checking. Unless you just want a new motor...
    27' Round AG, 17,200 gallons, sand filter

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    That is the right motor but you can get it cheaper at www.pumpwarehouse.com. You need either a ST1102 if you want to stay with a single speed or a STS1102R if you want to change it to a 2-speed to save money on electric costs.
    Sorry for digging up this old post but it is relevant to a problem I am now experiencing.

I started my pool pump two days ago after being idle since I winterized my pool in the fall. At first the pump would not start, so, I had to pull the motor end and manually turn the shaft to break it free. Once I did this the motor started perfectly.

This morning I stopped outside and found my motor to be operating very loudly almost screaming. I assume my motor is going out?

It is an AO Smith C48K2N143B1.

Any suggestions before I purchase a new motor? Also. The post I quoted referenced pumpwarehouse.com with a part number ST1102 as a replacement for my motor. Their site does not confirm this being the same motor. Is it for sure the correct motor?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Near Louisville, KY
    18' x 36' Vinyl Liner In-Ground Pool
    Approx. 20,900 gallons
    Mineral Springs SWG
    Sand Filter
    Solar Cover

Yours is most likely a bearing and if you catch it in time, you can replace it without much trouble. That's where I'd start.

It's for sure the right part. There should be another number on the motor just before that part number you listed. You can use that to find the replacement motors.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Yours is most likely a bearing and if you catch it in time, you can replace it without much trouble. That's where I'd start.

It's for sure the right part. There should be another number on the motor just before that part number you listed. You can use that to find the replacement motors.

Thanks much, but, is replacing bearings a fairly simple procedure? Where could I obtain instructions?
    Near Louisville, KY
    Approx. 20,900 gallons
    Mineral Springs SWG
    Sand Filter
    Solar Cover

Quote Originally Posted by bamm
    Thanks much, but, is replacing bearings a fairly simple procedure? Where could I obtain instructions?
    This isn't a pool pump, but it's close enough for your purposes.

Tools wise, you'd need to buy a 3 leg puller ($15 from Harbor Freight Tools), a nipple of black pipe to tap the bearing back on ($3 from any hardware/home store), and the replacement bearings (probably less than $10 each at Grainger).
    TFP Moderator33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1.5HP PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater
    Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

For the 3 leg puller you might stop by a auto parts store. Most of the chain stores have loaner tools, put down a deposit and get the deposit back when you return the tool.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

Quote Originally Posted by msgtdan
    For the 3 leg puller you might stop by a auto parts store. Most of the chain stores have loaner tools, put down a deposit and get the deposit back when you return the tool.
    ^^Even better idea^^^
    TFP Moderator33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1.5HP PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater
    Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months

Awesome help. Thanks to all.

Is there a bearing at both ends of the motor?

How do I identify any required seals, and, where do I buy these?
    Near Louisville, KY
    Approx. 20,900 gallons
    Mineral Springs SWG
    Sand Filter
    Solar Cover

Yes, there's a bearing at both ends.

You'll need a shaft seal in the pump and once you have the end bells off the motor you'll see the bearings. They're fairly easy to replace.

If you have a Motion Industries close they'll have the bearings in stock but they may not have the shaft seal. Then again they might!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Thanks again.

I am starting to wonder, at least for me, if it would be easier to just replace the entire motor/pump assembly.

It has been is use summer seasons only since 2008, when our pool was built, 24 hours per day.

The assembly is a Hayward model SP2607X10

Does anyone have any suggestions as to who would have the best price?
    Near Louisville, KY
    Approx. 20,900 gallons
    Mineral Springs SWG
    Sand Filter
    Solar Cover

Fixing up your pump is no problem.
    http://www.troubleshooters.com/pool/pump/index.htm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HngeRNoYIQA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dswCzYlmNE&feature=plcp
    Many more vids on youtube. Also do a google search for superpump bearings.
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

Now that I have shut-off my pump/ motor to prevent further damage until I can replace the bearings, my pool water will not be circulating for at least 2-3 days.

Will my water stay clear without being filtered? Also, with no circulation my SWG is not making chlorine. should I add any chemicals or will the water be ok for a few days?

I did put my solar cover on.
    Near Louisville, KY
    Approx. 20,900 gallons
    Mineral Springs SWG
    Sand Filter
    Solar Cover

Quote Originally Posted by bamm
    Now that I have shut-off my pump/ motor to prevent further damage until I can replace the bearings, my pool water will not be circulating for at least 2-3 days.

Will my water stay clear without being filtered? Also, with no circulation my SWG is not making chlorine. should I add any chemicals or will the water be ok for a few days?

I did put my solar cover on.
    I'll regurgitate a JasonLion answer from another thread: You can put bleach in so long as you brush the entire pool to mix it in, as long as you're doing maintenance only. If you're aiming for shock levels of FC, not a good idea.