Water disappears from pipes after cell cleaning?

Sudsy

Apr 19, 2012
Hi reader, thanks for this opportunity.
I have a 20k litre kidney shaped salt pool, running a ZODIAC Clearwater C200T timer and chorinator cell.
Last week I noticed that after cleaning the cell of calcium – the pump, pipes, and chorinator had no water running through it. It took me about half an hour of placing my garden hose into the pump viewing hole and pouring water into the pipe (that I've no idea where it goes), until I could crank the thing on again and see water gushing as it should through every viewing glass and acrylic pipe. I then realised the pattern. In recent months I have had to do this 3 times, only now realising it was immediately after the cleaning process of the cell. The other 3 times was a couple of days later and never saw the connection :oops: . Any ideas anyone? Thank you all so very much regardless.

If there's a thread I couldn't find – that could explain my situation, pls direct me that way. :cheers:

Welcome to TFP.

Sounds like your not priming the pump properly after opening the system.

Do you have valves on the suction of the pump and/or discharge of the filter or after the swcg?

Where are you located?

Thanks so much for the reply.

Regards the priming and all that, I've never had to do that in all the years I've had the pool. But anyway I have the top dial set to filter operation, usually when in operation. Then when I go to clean the cell I simply turn off the power. I unscrew the cell cap after unplugging the electrodes and earth then clean in the diluted acid. Upon returning the cell and electrodes, I simply adjust the timer to the correct time, and switch on the power so when the time comes ... it's gushing clean again. But as I explained this has not been as regular as it had been, as of several months ago.

I'm not sure what the swcg is? Sorry. I'm thinking perhaps I've been lucky all these years, and perhaps I should turn my manual dial from the filter stage of operation to the CLOSE stage whilst cleaning the cell. Then return it after closing the cell all in order to maintain water pressure within the system. I can attach pix of the pump set up if that helps. Waddya think?
I'm in Australia, on the Gold Coast, Queensland. :wave:

Thanks again so very much.
Hope all is well with you. Ciao, Sudsy. :cheers:

It could be that the impeller on the pump is partially clogged causing it not to prime as quickly as it once did. It also could be that the skimmer weir is sticking a little, or that the water level in the pool is a little lower than normal, or that the filter is dirty causing a little resistance and keeping the pump from priming as quickly. It could also be a check valve in the suction line leaking by.

When was the last time you cleaned the filter?
Do you have a check valve in the suction line anywhere?
Have you checked the pump impeller?

Just a courtesy update. Thank you all so very much for the great advice. I worked out based on your advice that air was getting in at the pump suction window, the rubber gasket had aged and flattened. Air was coming in at that point. $15 later, problemo ... solvoed.

Thanks groovers. :party:

Happy swimming. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.