LED Light Placement in a 20 x 40 rectangular ool

Mar 3, 2012
Hello. DIY 20 x 40 rectangular pool with liner. We have one LED light (changes to a bizzillion different colors :)) and we are trying to determine the best placement for the light. The pool is parallel to the house (the long way) and is about 20 feet away from the house. Thinking that it belongs on the long end closest to the house, facing away from the house. However, not sure if that's the best placement for it. And then trying to determine if it should be in the shallow end, in the deep end, in between, etc. Insights and experiences appreciated.

Might be best in the middle of the long end. Here is my thinking ...

The color LEDs are not nearly as bright as white LEDs. The more Red the color, the shorter the distance the light will actually travel in the water.

If you put it in the deep end on the short side, the light has to travel up to 41 feet to reach the furthest point. It does not have to spread as much so may have more even coverage. (Don't expect the Red to reach more than about half the length)

Putting it on the long side makes the furthest point from the light 28 feet away. Down side is I am not sure how well the corners on the side with the light will be lit as the light will not reach 180 degrees.

Perhaps others will offer their ideas.

If you are deciding where to put it at this point, I'd strongly suggest installing a second light niche and LED light. These can typically be synchronized by power toggling, and as mentioned, a single light will probably not provide as much light as you will want. We have two IntelliBrites, on in the pool and one in the attached spa. The spa gets very bright, but red hued colors are much weaker in the pool, especially in the shallow end (the light niche is in the deep end). LED lights are expensive, but given the option before all the hardscape is in, etc, now would really be the best time. If you go with two, I would put one about a 1/3rd or 1/4th from each end and this should give reasonably even coverage throughout the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.