i gotta be stupid- added blue pond dye to pool now its like

Re: i gotta be stupid- added blue pond dye to pool now its l

Is all of that color due to adding dye? It certainly does not look like 'blue dye' to me. I would go through the shocking process outlined in Pool School. And if you don't have one already, get a good test kit and post full results.

PS - Welcome to TFP!

Welcome to TFP!
I agree w/ Blake; funny color for adding blue dye. It looks like a bunch of dirt washed in there. He's given you good advice! Looks like the water is a bit low as well?

Uggg. I agree with Blakej and Melt, including Welcome to TFP! Someone else might be able to help, and it might be helpful to post the product used and the ingredient list.

Bummer. Good luck with it.

its the dye--water was clear before i added it-just had a couple of stains and wanted the pool to look good for some guest comming over--it turned blue-then black and then this color in a matter of 2 hours--oops that did not work--when i back wash the water in the sight glass is crystal clear-i am assuming it reacted with the cholorine and stained the liner--its called jungle pond water shade --The active ingredient, Potassium Permanganate

Ahhh! Crikey...that stuff is a very potent oxidizer, and depending on how much you added, adds a LOT of metals (manganese) to your pool. How much did you put in? A wild guess is that your pool is now coated with manganese oxide - dark brown to black in color. We have some master chemists around here who can hopefully tell us what exactly happened and what can be done about it. Sorry you arrived under these circumstances :(

yea it looks like metal stain to me too--i put in about 20oz --does not stain my inground fish pond--but it has a rocky and black bottom so maybe it does and i just don't see it--thanks for your input

thedreemer said:
as far as test i let leslies test every week (they are 1 mile from me)--all perfect--
"all perfect" is a pretty loose term for a pool store test...I would still recommend getting a TF-100 and be in complete control of your water chemistry!

As for the stained liner, that is a bummer. I hope someone here can help you (and teach the rest of us)!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The red feet on that slide and some of the furniture made me think you were in SE Asia. I have been thinking about your issue and I have absolutely nothing to add other than what's been said. Sure hope it turns out OK.

by perfect it means all chems are in line--they do like 10 test (trust me they try to find something wrong so they can sell stuff--lol-so if they say everything is good i kinda think they are truthful)

An ascorbic acid treatment would probably help. Using a sequestrant will help keep the stain from reforming.

Unfortunately, with how much manganese is in the water, it's likely that the stains will not be fully resolvable and they will probably continue to reform.

Try some vitamin C (or ascorbic acid) on a test spot to see what happens.

Hi, welcome to TFP! The problem with pool store tests is that their parameters are different from the parameters we recommend here. So, when we hear things are o.k. according to the pool store, that really doesn't tell us anything meaningful. Most of our advice will depend on us knowing the actual numbers in the test results. It gives us a more complete chemical picture of the pool. If you have a copy of the test results please post them and we can start trying to help you solve this problem. :)

Potassium Permanganate is a pond algaecide rather than a dye. Most pond dyes contain Acid Blue #9

According to this link it says "Do not overuse as extreme darkening of water may reduce too much sunlight" and it says to dilute with fresh water if too much is added and "Be sure to dechlorinate the new water." It's a strong oxidizer and is not designed to be used in pools. There are blue dyes that are designed for use in pools such as GLB® Party Blue.

Yes, when permanganate oxidizes something (that is, when it itself gets reduced) it can produce manganese dioxide which is brown-black solid. You could try filtering it out since it is insoluble. If you have a sand filter and if it isn't getting filtered out fast enough, you can Add DE to a Sand Filter. Worst case, you could try using OMNI Liquid Floc Plus, but only if you are unable to filter this out otherwise.

Does it list the concentration of permanganate on the bottle? This is a first for this forum as far as I know, so please bear with us as we figure out how to help you.

If you rub the liner with your fingers, is it stained or can you clean it off to the normal color?

From reading the thread it sounds like the longer it stays in the pool potentially more damage to the liner, just wondering if perhaps time is a factor and therefore maybe it's best to bit the bullet and simply drain and clean. If so, I know draining an in ground requires you to know if you have high water table so the pool won't heave when empty.

Great looking backyard, ironically the brown colour water actually compliments everything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.