i gotta be stupid- added blue pond dye to pool now its like

Re: i gotta be stupid- added blue pond dye to pool now its l

did the metal stain test --no stain on liner or pool steps--weird--i cut pump off to see if it will settle and i can vacuume--weird water clear-no stain to liner or steps--may be ailens stuff-lol

zea3 said:
Hi, welcome to TFP! The problem with pool store tests is that their parameters are different from the parameters we recommend here. So, when we hear things are o.k. according to the pool store, that really doesn't tell us anything meaningful. Most of our advice will depend on us knowing the actual numbers in the test results. It gives us a more complete chemical picture of the pool. If you have a copy of the test results please post them and we can start trying to help you solve this problem. :)
my numbers were before the dye was
free chlorine 1 ppm
avail 1.0
cal hardness 200
cyauric acid 45
total alkalinty 80
ph 7.2
copper 0
iron 0
phosphates 0

now after dye
free ch 3.0
aval ch 3.0
cal hardness 70
total alkalinity 50
ph 6.0
copper 0
iron 0
phosphates 50

i changed out the sand in filter and added a 4" layer of de--hope it works
also backwashed and no stain on liner must just be in water--40,000 gal don't want to drain it

chem geek said:
According to this link it says "Do not overuse as extreme darkening of water may reduce too much sunlight" and it says to dilute with fresh water if too much is added and "Be sure to dechlorinate the new water." It's a strong oxidizer and is not designed to be used in pools. There are blue dyes that are designed for use in pools such as GLB® Party Blue.

Yes, when permanganate oxidizes something (that is, when it itself gets reduced) it can produce manganese dioxide which is brown-black solid. You could try filtering it out since it is insoluble. If you have a sand filter and if it isn't getting filtered out fast enough, you can Add DE to a Sand Filter. Worst case, you could try using OMNI Liquid Floc Plus, but only if you are unable to filter this out otherwise.

i think you are correct--thank you very much

thedreemer said:
zea3 said:
Hi, welcome to TFP! The problem with pool store tests is that their parameters are different from the parameters we recommend here. So, when we hear things are o.k. according to the pool store, that really doesn't tell us anything meaningful. Most of our advice will depend on us knowing the actual numbers in the test results. It gives us a more complete chemical picture of the pool. If you have a copy of the test results please post them and we can start trying to help you solve this problem. :)
my numbers were before the dye was
free chlorine 1 ppm
avail 1.0
cal hardness 200
cyauric acid 45
total alkalinty 80
ph 7.2
copper 0
iron 0
phosphates 0

now after dye
free ch 3.0
aval ch 3.0
cal hardness 70
total alkalinity 50
ph 6.0
copper 0
iron 0
phosphates 50

i changed out the sand in filter and added a 4" layer of de--hope it works
also backwashed and no stain on liner must just be in water--40,000 gal don't want to drain it

Here is an example of where we see problems with pool store test results. Unless you have drained and replaced a significant amount of water, your calcium hardness would not drop from 200 to 70. A current CYA level was not included so I can't tell if that result changed as well. Calcium and CYA can only be removed by draining and refilling (including splash-out and heavy, prolonged rains that displace pool water) or by reverse osmosis treatment. A drop in one of those values without a corresponding drop in the other would indicate one of the tests was in error, provided no additional calcium or CYA had been added to the pool.

This is why we recommend ownership of an FAS-DPD test kit such as a TF 100 or a Taylor K2006. They use the same reagents as most pool stores and you will get more consistent results when the same person tests using the same method and materials.

Now as for the discolored water...I would try filtering as you are doing now and see if that helps. You can also experiment with shocking the pool by filling a 5 gallon bucket with pool water and adding a cup of bleach an hour to see if it has any effect on the color. Pour in the bleach and stir it well to mix. Maybe keep a sample of water in a dixie cup after each bleach addition to see if you are making any progress.

Yet another reason why we don't take the pool stores' 'OK' t face value - an FC level of 1ppm is too low for a CYA level of 45. FC=3 is barely acceptable as a minimum. So this is really NOT OK, as it means that you effectively have no available chlorine in your pool.

i added 50 lbs of hardness up--then i started getting green alge--let it set for a week-i do not know if the alge ate the brown stuff or it just went away on its own--then i added 12lbs of baking soda and used green to clean-and added 5 lbs of shock and 5lbs of shock the next day-- :party:

Just like zea3 said, it would be in your best interest to get your own good test kit. Did you use the Pool Calculator to get those numbers (that you added)? I am glad what you did worked, and your pool is looking nice! But keeping tabs on your levels, and following pool school/calculator will be your best bet for long term success!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.