My 2HP Whisperflo needs replacing

Apr 17, 2012
My local pool service is recommending replacing my increasingly loud single speed 2HP Pentair Whisperflo WF28 with an Intelliflo for around $1200. Said it would pay for itself in energy saving. I've read several email strings of folks having problems with their Intelliflo pumps. Have had other professionals tell me to just turn off my pump at night to save electricity. Currently we pay around 7 cents per Kw. I run it 24/7 from May to August and its four years old.

I have three jets that push to two skimmers and two other jets that I assume are like "spa" jets for the stairs but I keep their flow to just move the water there and increase flow to the other three. No other water features.

Should I go for the Intelliflo, or just a two-speed pump? I seem to need strong flow on this pool. My pad is about twenty feet from the pool on an incline. 2.5" pipes. We have lots of wind and stuff blows into the pool.

I know pool folks sell these things (probably on commission) so I'm always skeptical. Thanks!

Here I go being verbose and slow to the response ... oh well ...

:wave: Welcome :wave:

First, there is likely no need to be running your 2HP pump 24/7 ... many people only run around 8 hrs/day enough to get 1-2 turnovers.

Second, the choice of 2-speed vs VS really comes down to the cost of your electricity.

Given you pool specs (and if electric rates are low), I would say a 2-speed would be a better option since you do not have any fancy waterfalls/water jets etc. And a 2-speed Whisperflo can be found for closer to $600.

Cheapest option would even be just replacing the motor with a 2-speed motor (~$300 kind of a guess) and keeping the same pump. I do not see why you would need a 2HP anyway and think you should be able to get by with a 1 or 1.5 HP 2-speed Whisperflo (although then you would need a smaller impeller as well as the motor).

You could continue to run 24/7 on low speed and just bump it up to high speed for cleaning/vacuuming.

If you want specifics regarding flowrates / etc, I will have to bow out for Mark to respond.

Hey Karl, welcome to TFP!

Running a single-speed pump 24/7 can certainly add up in electricity costs. The pool store is right about saving energy with a dual-speed or variable-speed, BUT you do have several options.

How old is your WhisperFlo pump? If you wanted, you could swap out the motor only (with a 2-speed motor). This would be a cheaper alternative, and also require no plumbing at all. The only downside (in my opinion) is not knowing the condition of the wet end of your pump. If you DO choose to change the motor only, make sure to also replace the seals and gaskets. If you want to get a better idea of this process, there are lots of videos on YouTube.

Okay, I typed too slow, but figured I would post anyways.. :hammer:

1) Your existing pump is both too much for the pool's size and you run it far more than you need to. Both are big wastes of energy dollars. A smaller 2 speed motor and matching impeller are better suited for you at seven cents per KW. You will likely need a new timer to handle two speeds.

2) At seven cents a KW, it would not make financial sense to get an Intelliflow. It would take a number of years to save in energy costs. The two speed's payback would happen a lot sooner and not require any plumbing changes since there are properly sized C frame motors available for it. Just remember to change the seal set too.

3) Running at night will leave you with an unsanitary pool in the mid day to late day period. That is when usage is at it's highest too. The sun would burn off your chlorine. No chlorine equals no protection against bacteria, fungi, and other bio-badies.

Scott

Gentlemen I thank you all for the excellent feedback! Just what I was looking for. We bought this place last summer and I'm brand new to pools. I can't say why the previous owner installed a 2HP pump four years ago, unless he seemed to think "bigger is always better." My three jets DO put out a lot of pressure.

I assume the two-speed described automatically switches to a lower speed at night? Sounds like this is the answer for us.

Pool guy says the bearings are going out on my Whisperflo but thinks it will get through this season. I just don't want to wait til it craps out completely....or have to put up with the increasing noise.

You will either need to upgrade your timer so you can set what speed it runs when. Or you can just have a manual switch which you select the speed to run. Depending on how you clean the pool. You may be able to just leave it on low and throw the switch to high when you need it.

kdzetmeir said:
I assume the two-speed described automatically switches to a lower speed at night? Sounds like this is the answer for us.
It will 'automatically' switch speed as long as you set the pump up with a timer. J beat me (again) but I second his comment :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's what I'll order then.
I hate being new to this. We have two local pool companies. Last summer, I tested my water each week at the nearest one, would then add a couple pounds of this or that per their recommendation. This year I'm using the other company to open my pool, they say a few pounds of anything wouldn't affect a pool as large as mine, so I felt like I got gypped. I just don't know who to believe anymore.

Appreciate the support of this website!

We bought our home outside of Fort Wort Texas 4 years ago and our pools filtration also is using a 2HP and our pool is just under 15k gallons. We run it 5-6 hours/day and the pool is beautiful which is why I have not changed but I would like to re-build out plumbing and diverter valve this season so maybe now is the time to drop to 1HP. We just have the pool, no spa. I am sure people thought bigger is better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.