AutoPilot Low/Amp (yes another one)

lovingHDTV

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2007
Round Rock, TX
I got the low amp flashing light, it said add some salt, so I did. While the salt was dissolving and going through the skimmer basket the light stopped flashing and read 25V@~6A, if I remember right.

After some time the light starts flashing again. OK I get my salt test strip out and wait the 4 min. and read 2450ppm. I calibrate the salt meter to 2400ppm. The bag of salt says for my pool I need 5 bags of salt to bring it up to 3100ppm. So I add 4.5 bags, just in case.

Flashing light goes off, get a good 25V,~6A reading GREAT!

Just went and looked again, it is now reading 3100ppm salt, 29V,3A! So I get out my salt test strip again, wait the 4 min, and it is now reading 4700ppm! The water does have a slight salt taste to it, but nothing abnormal.

Any ideas what is wrong? I already cleaned the cell and it is sparkly clean, reset the cables, etc. I don't see any wear on the cell, though it is ~5 seasons old.

I'm running on power level 3.

thanks,
dave

Test it again after 24 hours. It takes some time for the salt to completely integrate into the water. If it still tests high tomorrow you likely need to drain to get it down and you should clean the cell to be sure it's in good shape.

How old is the cell?

Couple thoughts...
If your water is below 52 degrees you might not get an accurate salt reading.
It takes roughly 24 hours to get a good salt mixture reading.
lovingHDTV said:
I don't see any wear on the cell, though it is ~5 seasons old.
Typically it is recommended to replace cells every 3-5 years..so if the other ideas don't help, a new cell might be your best bet.

Dave,
Is your pool opened 12 months out of the year or do you shut it down seasonally?
When you inspected your cell, did you notice if the two outer blades appeared recessed (shorter) on the leading edges? This is one sign of the cell wearing out.
As the cell wears out, the voltage will rise and the amperage will drop (similar to what you're describing).

I agree with Blake, let the water circulate and retest tomorrow, or at least this evening. If later today, make sure the pump is running so the salt gets a chance to disperse and dissolve.

OK, retested and salt is still way high at 4700ppm. Should I drain some water to reduce? Does it matter?

The SWG is still ready low amperage it is reporting 29V 3A. I'll open it up and look carefully to see if I can see any signs of wear, but when I looked last time it looked nice and shiny and I didn't see pitting or anything.

My pool does run year round.

dave

The salt level doesn't matter with the AutoPilot, so you can drain it down if you object to the salt taste in the water.

Since you're running year round, most like you'll need a new cell and cell cord. The amps and volts are pointing to that direction as to why you're getting this error display. Again, the apparence of the two outer edges helps to confirm this.

Not sure how well the depletion shows up in this photo, but I'm trying to show the wear on the two outer blades, where the leading edges are worn down.

Hope this helps,

Attachments

• 4 Depleted Cell.jpg
    4 Depleted Cell.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 86
Another Idea.... when you see the error display, if you do a FORCE REVERSE, do you see the same error display?
Force Reverse... Press MENU, and arrow UP or DOWN to MAINTENANCE MENU, then press SELECT. Arrow UP or DOWN to FORCE REVERSE, then press SELECT. The unit will go through a polarity reversal.
It may be depleted of Ruthenium Oxide in one direction and not the other. This is not common, if this is the case with your system.
However, I still think your cell is worn out and needs to be replaced.

Sean,

I finally got around to ordering a new cell and just pop it in. Works great.

Thanks for the picture about, that is what mine looks like. It helps to see a picture, made it easier to recognize what to look for.

Guess all I have left to do now is to send in the old cell.

One product suggestion. When you sell your system, it would be great if you would include a plug that could be threaded into one of the unions. This would make cleaning way easier, as I could thread on the plug, set the cell on its end, pour in the acid solution and let it clean away.

As it is now when I clean it I have to find a huge bucket to submerge then entire cell into and using 10x the water/acid solution to do the job. I keep meaning to go to HD and buy one, just haven't gotten around to it. I'd pay the extra $1 to have it included with the system :)

dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.