Any recommendations for a solar cover reel?

Apr 3, 2012
I want to get a solar cover reel but really have no idea what brands are good. I don't like the reels that sit on the pool rails. My deck goes all the way around the pool so I can use one that mounts to the deck or on wheels. Any suggestions?

GLI and Horizon both make some pretty good solar cover reels. A metal base will cost a little more on the front-end, but last much longer than the plastic ones. Also, since you have decking all the way around your pool, you could use the in-ground models. If you want sku numbers, I can give you a few to look at..but I'm sure a simple google search will point you in the right direction.

CyclingCraig said:
sturge33 said:
I ended up ordering this:

http://www.solarcovers.com/product/...s-steel-solar-reel-for-pools-up-to-16-ft-wide

It sounds like it will work well for me.

Sturge33, How do you like that reel, I am looking at the same one, but not sure if I should get the one that is geared or the regular handle one like you got?

I really like it. It seems to be durable and rolls up easily. The only issue I've had is when I roll the cover the cover sometimes gets caught on the edge of the pool railing and pulls the reel towards the pool. That is most likely due to my pool being oval though and not a problem with the reel. I fixed it by attaching some bungee straps around the reel legs and my deck posts to hold it in place. The pole that the cover rolls on does not sag at all with the cover on it. It took about 45 minutes to put together and attach to the solar cover. You can attach it to grommets if your cover has them. Mine didn't so I used the clips that came with the reel and they worked just fine. I really can't see where the reel with gears would be any easier to roll up. I would definitely buy this solar reel again.

I have that same reel and I like it, but I have the "up to 20ft one" so it's a little longer and also have a heavy 16mil 18x40 that puts a serious load on this reel.

I will select a geared reel next time and something a little more durable. I broke the plastic handle and had to order a replacement for $20. Also, the two bolts in the legs on each side have both fell out, although it seems to still be holding together. I tightened them down good so I don't know how they managed to work themselves loose.

I have an oval pool also and attaching it where the pool begins the straightaway gets to be a pain because the majority of the cover is toward the deep end, and the remaining is toward the pool steps. I also have to wrestle with it to get it unreeled and in place.

I sure would like an automatic cover be over with the hassle, if only I had the $$$. :)

Jamie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.