Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High filter pressure after plumbing in SW chlorinator

1. Back To Top    #1

High filter pressure after plumbing in SW chlorinator

I have a sand filter that ran at 28 psi all last summer when clean, and would increase to 32-33 psi when dirty and flow would essentially stop until I backwashed. Then it came back down to 28ish, and flow would be back to normal. During the off season, I plumbed in a saltwater chlorinator between the filter and returns (no heater installed), and now when I opened up my pool and started up my pool pump, the pressure has increased to 45 psi. The filter is clean, I think, because the flow is pretty normal out of the returns.

I am worried, because the max working pressure on my sand filter is 50 psi, so I'm worried this is a bomb waiting to explode. Any idea of why the pressure would be so high after winterization, plumbing in the new SW chlorinator, and opening for this season? My first thought was the plumbing changed, but I dont see much more resistance in flow than how it was previously plumbed, that would make it go up by 20 psi.
    25,000 gal in-ground pool (vinyl liner), Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter Model #: S-220T, Pentair Dynamo Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High filter pressure after plumbing in SW chlorinator

That pressure rise does not make sense. Seems like there must be a blockage in the return path somewhere. You removed all the return plugs right

Can you post up some pictures of the equipment pad so we can see if anything looks off?

Does your SWG have union fittings? Can you pull the cell out and put a "dummy" pipe in its place to eliminate the cell as the problem?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off?
    Usually those gauges don't make it over winter, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's the problem and there's no actual pressure rise.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off?
    Usually those gauges don't make it over winter, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's the problem and there's no actual pressure rise.
    Excellent question
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I didnt plug any of the returns. I drained the water slightly below the returns and skimmers for winter. The air pressure gauge does not drop to 0 when the pump is off; it only drops to about 40-41 psi. Im not sure how to post pics in my repsonse, so I attached a picture of the pad and plumbing, hopefully you can see it? I installed the plumbing so I can bypass the chlorinator if I want, which is what Im doing now. You can see the chlorinator isnt even in there yet, and the red squares show the valves are shut off so water doesnt flow down to where the chlorinator would be. The green box and arrows show the bypass valve is open and direction of water flow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    25,000 gal in-ground pool (vinyl liner), Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter Model #: S-220T, Pentair Dynamo Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

As Bama instructed, if you gauge is only going to 41 psi when pump is off, it is broken and needs to be replaced. It should read 0 when pump is off. Seems likely your pressure is fine, but you do not know cause of the gauge.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Should it read 0 though when the pump is off? Because technically, it is a sealed system, so as long as there are no air leaks, it doesnt seem like the pressure should drop, because the whole system is still sealed and pressurized.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yep. My last gauge was $11 at the "pool store" you might do better elsewhere.
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by tyoder
    Should it read 0 though when the pump is off? Because technically, it is a sealed system, so as long as there are no air leaks, it doesnt seem like the pressure should drop, because the whole system is still sealed and pressurized.
    Yes it should go to zero because it is not a sealed system .. the pool (and returns) are open to the environment.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

That seemed to do the trick. I took the gauge out, and it still read 38 psi once completely disconnected, so it was definitely faulty. I got a new gauge for $6, and now it is running around 8 psi. Thanks for all the help. I love this site!

11. Back To Top    #11

I generally pull my gauge and keep it in my sock drawer over the winter. Even with a roof over my equipment, my gauges never last through the winter if I leave them installed.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat