My pool is a swamp - don't know where to begin...

Sep 21, 2011
We purchased a house last fall, and the previous owner had partially drained the pool, shut down the pump/filter, and covered it in mid-August. I pulled the cover off yesterday (fearing what I would find), and it is a swamp! This is my first experience with a pool, so I have been reading/researching (and will continue to) and generally understand some of what needs to happen. I know I have to get the filter running before I can attack the algae (I'm guessing I'm going to need to clean it both before AND after getting things under control). However, I can't even see the walls well enough to know where the winterizing plugs are - and I can't start the filter and pump without doing that.

So, what do I do? Do I...

1. Try to mix enough shock in there manually to try to clear up the water enough to see?
2. Drain the pool to below the plug levels and then refill (I'm guessing it's a 30k gallon pool and it is full, so I would HATE to have to do that).
3. Some other option I don't understand or know?

I welcome any insights on this!

Thanks!

You could feel around blind and find them. Do you know about how deep they are? You may be able to slide a pool brush along the wall and feel them.

If you get a skimmer and one or two returns open you can run the pump and start the shocking process.

Can you give us more info on the pool? I'm assuming it is an in ground as you can see above ground fittings from the outside. You might be able to feel where the fittings. Are with a brush on a pole. I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

msgtdan said:
Can you give us more info on the pool? I'm assuming it is an in ground as you can see above ground fittings from the outside. You might be able to feel where the fittings. Are with a brush on a pole. I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

Sorry - just added that info to my signature (I'm new to this). IG pool, vinyl, DE filter, app. 25-30k gallons.

Bama Rambler said:
You could feel around blind and find them. Do you know about how deep they are? You may be able to slide a pool brush along the wall and feel them.

If you get a skimmer and one or two returns open you can run the pump and start the shocking process.

I can give that a shot. Unfortunately - I have no idea how deep they are. The skimmer should be easy (I just do that from the deck, right?). I may have to see, tomorrow, whether I could find one or two returns.

Now that the real freezes are no longer a concern, I want to try to tackle this before the weather gets too warm and algae is growing that more readily. Temps are supposed to be in the 40's for lows and 60's for highs for the next 10 days. Seems like a good time to try!

Couldn't he in theory shock the pool....then brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush for a day or two enough to see where some of the lines are?

Can you tell where any of the pipes head underground? Could always roll up your sleeves and stick your arm in and feel for them.

The returns should only be about 1-2 feet under the water. I was going to make the same suggestion as Bama ... feel around with a brush (maybe the back of it).

If that fails, then Leebo's suggestion "might" help clear up the water enough to find them ... problem is if the pool is really swampy I think this could take a while.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.