Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My pool is a swamp - don't know where to begin...

1. Back To Top    #1

My pool is a swamp - don't know where to begin...

We purchased a house last fall, and the previous owner had partially drained the pool, shut down the pump/filter, and covered it in mid-August. I pulled the cover off yesterday (fearing what I would find), and it is a swamp! This is my first experience with a pool, so I have been reading/researching (and will continue to) and generally understand some of what needs to happen. I know I have to get the filter running before I can attack the algae (I'm guessing I'm going to need to clean it both before AND after getting things under control). However, I can't even see the walls well enough to know where the winterizing plugs are - and I can't start the filter and pump without doing that.

So, what do I do? Do I...

1. Try to mix enough shock in there manually to try to clear up the water enough to see?
    2. Drain the pool to below the plug levels and then refill (I'm guessing it's a 30k gallon pool and it is full, so I would HATE to have to do that).
    3. Some other option I don't understand or know?

I welcome any insights on this!

Thanks!
    Pool details:

18x36 Vinyl In-Ground pool
    25,000-30,000 gallons (estimate, will know more when I can get in and get an average depth)
    DE filter
    Pump info unknown - I'll get that soon!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My pool is a swamp - don't know where to begin...

You could feel around blind and find them. Do you know about how deep they are? You may be able to slide a pool brush along the wall and feel them.

If you get a skimmer and one or two returns open you can run the pump and start the shocking process.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you give us more info on the pool? I'm assuming it is an in ground as you can see above ground fittings from the outside. You might be able to feel where the fittings. Are with a brush on a pole. I'm sure others will have more suggestions.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by msgtdan
    Can you give us more info on the pool? I'm assuming it is an in ground as you can see above ground fittings from the outside. You might be able to feel where the fittings. Are with a brush on a pole. I'm sure others will have more suggestions.
    Sorry - just added that info to my signature (I'm new to this). IG pool, vinyl, DE filter, app. 25-30k gallons.
    Pool details:

25,000-30,000 gallons (estimate, will know more when I can get in and get an average depth)
    DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    You could feel around blind and find them. Do you know about how deep they are? You may be able to slide a pool brush along the wall and feel them.

If you get a skimmer and one or two returns open you can run the pump and start the shocking process.
    I can give that a shot. Unfortunately - I have no idea how deep they are. The skimmer should be easy (I just do that from the deck, right?). I may have to see, tomorrow, whether I could find one or two returns.

Now that the real freezes are no longer a concern, I want to try to tackle this before the weather gets too warm and algae is growing that more readily. Temps are supposed to be in the 40's for lows and 60's for highs for the next 10 days. Seems like a good time to try!
    Pool details:

DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Couldn't he in theory shock the pool....then brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush for a day or two enough to see where some of the lines are?

Can you tell where any of the pipes head underground? Could always roll up your sleeves and stick your arm in and feel for them.

7. Back To Top    #7

The returns should only be about 1-2 feet under the water. I was going to make the same suggestion as Bama ... feel around with a brush (maybe the back of it).

If that fails, then Leebo's suggestion "might" help clear up the water enough to find them ... problem is if the pool is really swampy I think this could take a while.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Post pics please!

18 X 36 IG 24200 Gallons
    Vinyl Liner
    Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit