Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Equalizer being used on your skimmer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Equalizer being used on your skimmer?

I was just browsing some sites and came across this.
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/swimming-pool2.htm
    In the second picture it shows the second hole in the bottom of the skimmer is used as an equalizer so that the pump wont suck up air if the water level was to drop below the skimmer level.

My equalizer port is plugged up, I'm guessing the builder didn't know what it was for.
    I was just curious how many people have this line hooked up and does it actually work?
    Or if it's worth bringing up to my pool builder, even though there is probably nothing they can do at this point.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Equalizer being used on your skimmer?

It's not common to have an equalizer line. Unless you specified that you wanted one in the contract they wouldn't have added it. Besides it's another projection through the liner and possible leak point. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Equalizer being used on your skimmer?

Cool, thanks for that info Dave. I never really knew what that extra line was for, except to collect dirt.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit