No Drain Acid Wash

brian987

LifeTime Supporter
Hey guys...I may seem ignorant, but I have been trying to find the directions for a "no drain" acid wash for about 2 hours. I was told to Google it and I would find what I needed, but when I do that, I get about 3 thousand hits, and after going thru 5 pages, still no clear directions...just a "kit" to order. I don't need a kit..I am fairly self sufficient, I know I can do this. Please advise.

A no drain acid wash is a fairly aggressive procedure that gives you little control over what happens. It will remove calcium scale, but will usually also remove plaster from areas that are not scaled, shortening the lifetime of the plaster.

Yes. The house was a foreclosure, then a flip...empty for at least a year. When I got it, pool had been cleaned up... But CH was only about 100. FC was 0, pH was off & CYA was 20. It took me a bit to get it into balance...after all we were trying to get our lives out of boxes, etc & it looked OK at first (yes, I got very good at looking at my water & knowing it was in need because the "diamond" sparklys were dull).

Anyway... They had been using tabs for chlorine...traditional route of pool cleaning. By the time I had a balance with it, it had just started to show signs of scaling. I am now a full month into TFP balance and it hasn't gotten worse, but no better either. Like I stated...early stages of scaling. The plaster has a light tan to khaki colored staining that is randomly across the surface & it doesn't respond to brushing at all.

Current readings:

FC-8
pH-7.3
TA-80
CH-320
CYA-50
I have not added Borax yet...waiting till I get other numbers stable.
Temp-71

My plan is to do a bit more testing first, but wanted to have the method info for "just in case". I have been researching the forums for all advice about the issues & planning my next move.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.