Thinking about SWG but concerned with pool damage

Feb 11, 2010
I am going on year number three of the pool. When we built, we had several builders push salt and others were admit about staying away from it. We eventually decided to go with a chlorine pool even though we went with one of the builders pushing salt.

After two+ years of maintaining the pool, I am thinking about switching to salt to reduce maintenance.

Several people I work with strongly recommend salt over chlorine due to the feel of the water and the simplified maintenance; however I have read comments online about the salt damaging limestone or other rock used around the pool. I also had someone come out for warranty work on the pool and I asked him what he would charge to install a SWG. He proceeded to talk me out of it saying it would ruin all my stonework and it was not worth it.

Has anyone in the North Texas area had issues with limestone coping and a SWG?

It's true that salt pool water can and will accelerate the wear and year on certain stone surfaces. Usually a sealer will prevent any damage tho. The maintence is a lot easier with a salt water pool. It's pricy up front but it can pay for itself with less maintenance and less chlorine or bleach to buy every year.

There are cases of peoples natural stonework having problems supposedly due to the SWCG. It's not overly common though. The salinity of a pool (around 3000 ppm) doesn't even come close to that of seawater which is truly corrosive at 30,000 ppm plus.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.