Pool Start up Instructions?

x2rider

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2011
Bartlesville, OK
On this site, we have great instructions for opening our winterized pools, but what about Starting from scratch or Restarting a pool opening?

I have a friend that is going to do a complete drain & refill this year after fighting their pool, being pool stored, not taking/having the time to do the daily shock process to get it under control, as well as having a high CYA after a few years of pucks.

They have some left over pucks, which they could use to get the chlorine, and CYA started, but I'm afraid the CYA would not build up fast enough to be effective during the first month or 2.

They just ordered a SWG, to help keep a constant flow of chlorine this year.

Once the pool is filled, and we get the first set of tests run, which should be tackled first? CYA, PH, TA? All 3?

I'm thinking with virgin water that the CYA and PH need to be adjusted, especially if PH is high since Chlorine is more effective at lower Ph, and we also want to get the CYA up, so that the Chlorine doesn't get burned up, then get the Chlorine level up initially either with pucks or some bleach to get it going. Somewhere I think it's noted how much CYA a puck has, so I'll try to find that unless someone remembers and can post that real quick. If there was a time to use pucks it would be now. If they didn't have them, I would just say add CYA and get on with it.

Ok, I just found I can figure out CYA per puck on the pool calculator. For a pool their size, one puck is 1.2 CYA, so that would take quite a long time to build up, so I'll suggest getting some CYA to put in initially after we take the measurements with their new TF-100!

Start filling it and once full, adjust pH. I would then add enough CYA to get to 30 ppm and add bleach to get some FC in there. He can control FC with bleach until the SWCG is plumbed. Then add salt and start the SWCG. After all of this, he will want to raise the CYA to 60 or 70 since he has a SWCG running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.