Hello from Wilmington, North Carolina!

Apr 13, 2012
Wilmington, NC
My name is Tom T, I live in Wilmington, NC. I'm a local govt employee. I scuba dive (offshore technical diving, cave diving in FLA/Mexico). I play Ice Hockey. I have an 18 year old son who used to be my best pal until he got a girlfriend and ditched me......and I have a curing swamp that used to be a pool in my backyard.

4 years ago, my wife insisted on getting a swimming pool for our back yard. We can't afford an in-ground pool, so we opted for a cheapo above ground pool by intex. I opposed this idea initially, but gave in to my wife's demands. Funny thing is that after I got it set up, and working, I have thoroughly enjoyed the pool, as have our family and neighbors. Summers here in SE North Carolina are brutally hot and humid. While we live close to the beach, only 8 miles away, the tourists tend to corner the market on parking on the weekends, so it is nice and convenient to have the cool water in our back yard.

In the summer after an ocean dive, the pool (when it isn't a swamp) is nice for rinsing gear. Not sure what effect that has on the pool, but it saves me tons of time. Nice to get in fresh water after being on a dive boat and in the ocean all day when I get home. We have huge family reunions at our house, and the pool is always center mass for the company. I have always enjoyed keeping it clear, clean, and balanced. Last summer, I had an algae bloom, massive one in August. When the bloom occurred I had so many pucks in the pool, but couldn't get Chlorine to register on strips or daily test kit. Tried for months (algaecide and puck-icide) to cure the bloom, never got in under control, gave up on it in October or so. We can use the pool here in NC from late March until November...so realistically, its only closed from December through February. I saw the bottom of the pool one time this winter during the coldest snap we had, which was in December. Water temp was really low, and I figured it was low enough to sap the algae. Until I found this site, I thought I'd never figure out how to cure this mess. I had already been working on trying to clear the pool for the whole month of March, which were all fruitless efforts. After hundreds of filter washings, hundreds spent on chemicals, bad advice from pool stores, bad advice or opinions from co-workers, etc, I finally turned to the internet. You can find out almost anything on the internet these days. I found this site, started reading, and thought I'd give these methods a shot. I am glad that I did.

I am thankful for the assistance I have found on this site, and hope to have my cheezy above ground pool clean and clear soon, I need my dive gear rinsing station/family outing location/post lawn mow cool off/floatie beer consumption summer time misery relief back as soon as possible. Summer time temps have already been upon us since early March.

Welcome to the forum Tom! Since it would appear that I am your first reply, it goes without saying that your first stop should be the "Pool School" section of the website. There is a wealth of knowledge there. Get yourself a decent test kit, since you'll be shocking and cleaning your pool filter a lot in the outset. Please post some pics of your progress and test kit results and the recommendations on how to proceed will come pouring in. Hope everything goes well!

KARL

Thanks Karl, I've read the pool school. I have the TF100, and I'm currently holding my pool in shock. Its been shocked since last Friday. I started a thread on it in the just getting started forum. Newbie with cloudy water. Something to that effect is the title. Like I said, the site has been very helpful.

Tom