Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air in filter but not in pump skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Air in filter but not in pump skimmer

This year when I fire up my pump, I noticed I keep getting alot of air in the sand filter can..I've sat n watched it run n i never see air being sucked in the pump "window". Any help??

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air in filter but not in pump skimmer

The most common leak is the O-ring on the strainer basket lid. If it has any cracks, no matter how small, it needs to be replaced. It also has to be well lubricated with silicon grease. While you're messing around in that area, check the drain plugs on the pump and strainer. You gotta remember, that pump can suck a lot. Consider how much water you can suck up a 2" pipe for comparison. Even a tiny little champagne bubble size air leak can build up a lot of air in the tank real fast.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

How do you know air is in the filter? Do you have a clear bleed valve on the top?

It is almost impossible for the air to get into the filter without passing through the pump basket. Like Richard said, look again very closely.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a habit of opening the valve on top cause 2 year ago I had a slow leak n was sucking in air so I would do that once a day. But that was when I could see air in the basket. I'm thinking only other place it can be is multi valve. It sounds like there is air in it but that has been the nor the last four or so year. Mayb it's time to replace it

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The multiport valve will not have an air leak. It may leak water, but not air (pump running)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I shut it down the pump after reading other post, n I hear a hiss noise so tomm a go over it. Thanks guys ill let u no how I make out

7. Back To Top    #7

Maybe there is a slow leak in the air relief valve on the top of the filter, or the air is leaking through the o-rings when the pump is shut off. As air is much less dense than water, and if the leak is a suction leak, you may not necessarily see water leaking out of the relief valve or from the o-ring on the filter. In either case, air might be getting pulled into the filter as the water in the filter wants to return from the filter back into the pool.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.