I am having some issues with my sand filter's performance.
The symptoms are:
- Pressure never goes above 18 PSI. It starts at 12 PSI after back washing.
- A dense jet of fine dark brown dirt comes out of the return when switching the pump from low to high after a day of run time on low.
- When adding DE to the sand filter through the skimmer a moderate amount of it immediately comes out of the return.
- Lack of water clarity. Fine particles can be seen floating when a sample is taken and held up to the sun.
- Last year I took the sand filter apart to clean the sand. Upon opening it I found the standpipe had a piece broken off at the very top where it entered the multi-port. I replaced the broken portion of the standpipe with a length of 1.5" schedule 40 PVC. The laterals were all intact. There was a small crack on the very bottom of the assembly under where the laterals all connect. I figured since this was at the very bottom anyway and the crack was smaller than the lateral opening size that it wouldn't matter. The sand was thoroughly cleaned and the filter was put back together.
- Last year the gasket in the multi-port was replaced.
- The handle to the multi-port used to spring all the way back up when I let it go. It no longer springs back. I noticed there are some broken pieces of plastic washer type material under the handle.