Chemicals needed for opening

Jun 15, 2010
NB, Canada
Hi guys,

I do not cover my pool for winter (not much debris near my pool). The ice/snow is gone and my pool is ready for opening.

I cleaned out the few leaves and bugs from the bottom of the pool. There's still some dirt on the bottom which i will vacuum or filter out once i get things running.

I get what to do up until adding chemicals....unplug pipes, reconnect everything, prime pump, etc. What i don't know is what i need to add to my pool once i get it running again. My water is very clear. Do i still need to shock? Add algaecide? Anything else?

Oh, forgot to mention, IG 20x40 pool with SWG and sand filter.

Thanks!

The first thing to do is get the pump running. Once the pump has been running for an hour or more, test the water. Your water test results will tell you what needs doing. Typically you will need to add chlorine and CYA, but there is no telling without test results.

There is no need to shock when opening as long as the water is clear and your CC level is 0.5 or lower.

Thanks Jason!

It got dark too early, so i couldn't completely open it tonight. Water's still fairly cold too.

So my CC level should be LOWER than 0.5? I know there's a reason for this, but i assumed high chlorine level was better than low.

Thanks again!

Richard,

Unfortunately i live in Canada, so i can't purchase that kit. It costs an arm and a leg in Canada. Pool stores usually test your water for free up here. Unfortunately, they aren't always honest (in my opinion) as they try and sell you as many chemicals as possible.

I have the water circulating right now, with no leaks. If i can vacuum tonight and start filtering, i'll get the water tested tomorrow morning. Water's still too cold to get the SWG going.

Also wanted to add that the light in my shallow end won't turn on. I replaced it last year. Wondering what it could be, i'll investigate further tonight.

The next best thing to the TF100 is the Taylor K-2006 can you find a distributor for that kit? Pretty sure you are not the first Canadian looking for a good test kit from this forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.