Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: autofill and overflow

1. Back To Top    #1

autofill and overflow

I've read a lot of comments on the pros and cons of adding an autofill to our pool build. It seems to me if you have an autofill it would also be a good idea to have an over flow drain. But I've searched everywhere for a place to purchase an overflow drain. I saw a pool under construction last summer that had a small metal grate about 2" x 3.5" which I assumed was the overflow. Any ideas on where to get that?
    I'm building the pool myself and have been ordering everything online.
    half Inground/half above ground, shotcrete pool, 19,000 gallons - KrystalKrete Krystal Blue quartz finish
    Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump - Pentair Easy Touch automation - Pentair T100 sand filter - Savi Melody LED lights - Mortex KoolDeck - Charleston, South Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: autofill and overflow

Is this an in-ground pool? The auto-fill containers I have seen for in-ground gunite pools have additional holes in them that could be used as an overflow ... assuming you set the container at the correct height or use a pipe to set the overflow level.

Both of my pools have had these outlets plugged.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, it's an in-ground gunite pool. Your right the autofill does have holes for that purpose. Thanks.
    half Inground/half above ground, shotcrete pool, 19,000 gallons - KrystalKrete Krystal Blue quartz finish
    Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump - Pentair Easy Touch automation - Pentair T100 sand filter - Savi Melody LED lights - Mortex KoolDeck - Charleston, South Carolina

4. Back To Top    #4

Our overflow is exactly as you describe...a small metal grate about that size. We don't have an autofill though and I really don't think that I would want one.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Our overflow is exactly as you describe...a small metal grate about that size. We don't have an autofill though and I really don't think that I would want one.

I wouldn't build a pool without a autofill. IMHO it is one less thing I worry about on a weekly basis.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

6. Back To Top    #6

We have an auto fill and it does have an overfill. It is plumbed with a line that runs to an outdoor faucet and all I have to do is turn on the faucet to add water quickly and easy. Once it has finished filling the pool I smiply turn off the faucet.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir