Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Water with high TA.

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Water with high TA.

We have a 20000 gallon pool and our rural water comes in with a TA well over 450. Can anyone give me recommendations on how to bring alkalinity down and keep the pH at a managable level without having the pool out of order for a week. I am using muratic acid to drop TA and caustic soda to raise pH.
    Size -7,612 gallons, IG, Plaster, 6.5 years
    filter Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE, Whisper pumps wfe-3 and wfe-8, cell turbo Aqua T-Cell-15
    Pentair MiniMax NT heater, Poolvergnuefen suction-side pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: New Pool Water with high TA.

Welcome to TFP!

You are going about it the wrong way. Check out Lowering Total Alkalinity

Welcome to the club. The last time I checked my well water it was 480ppm. But mine is below 100ppm now from maintaining the pH and rainwater dilution.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Acid and aertion, just like the man says. The more vigorous the churning, the faster it works.

You might need to search for threads with aeration or aerator in them; look for ones that show a paperclip icon - they'll have pictures to give ideas.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Flower Mound, TX

Welcome to TFP!
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT