New to the pool game.. Help me out

Apr 17, 2012
long story short..... i have a inground pool 30x60 in my backyard that has not been open in 4 plus years, it looks like a swamp.. i spoke to many pool guys about cost to open it and they range from $3,000 - $4,000, everyone wants to drain, acid/power wash the pool and start the system... i decided to take on the project all by my self..

So far i drained the entire pool and started to clean out the 2inches of muck at the bottom. Once i get it all cleaned out what would you guys suggest my next step be? do i need to acid wash or will power washing get the job done.

Attachments

• IMAG0403.jpg
    IMAG0403.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 70
Welcome to TFP.

I'd pressure wash it and see how it looks. That may be all you need to do. If it's stained you can wash it with bleach and then if that doesn't work resort to the acid wash.

Have you tested the equipment to see if the pump, etc. works?

Add your equipment & pool specs to your sig so we'll know what we're dealing with.

I did the same and a pressure washer cleaned it up pretty well (ignoring the deteriorating plaster :)) ... I was not concerned with discoloration as a re-coat was in the plans.

Are you aware of your underground water table? If not, you are taking a risk that the pool could float out of the ground if the water table gets high enough and there is not a release valve in the bottom of the pool.

thanks for the replys... i will start off power washing it and see how it comes out. Can i use a cement cleaner with the power washer?

As far as equipment, i did plug in the pumps and they seem to work and sound ok. One of the pool guys that came over said that the pool was closed properly and it should be ok.

I will add my equipment later when i get home, i know that i have 2 very large sand filters.

Attachments

• IMAG0404.jpg
    IMAG0404.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 56
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.