Replacing an inground pool vinyl liner yourself?

joshs2000ss

Nov 10, 2010
South Central Kentucky
I'm not due for a new liner at the moment, but I know that in the next couple of years I'll be to that point. I had always assumed that I'd have to get a pool guy (in my case, the builder) to do the install. However, I saw a reply to another post that said something about being able to do this yourself. This sparked my interest because I'm all for going DIY and saving some cost. Does anyone have info/links on where I could look to see what kind of cost savings I would be looking at or how tough this type of install might be?

My neighbor had their liner replaced last year in a slightly larger pool, by the same builder for $1500, so it would have to be a pretty good deal on a DIY liner for me to consider it.

Thanks

We replaced our last liner DIY. Granted, I was just supervising (and the beverage supplier) the husband and his friend (who both used to install pools), it took about a day of labor to get it all done. The trick is in the measurements. Our pool is an older 18 X 36 pool with the sharp corners so it would not take a regular 18 X 36 liner. It had to be measured to specifics. This was 10 years ago (our pool will get a new liner next year) and the cost was around 800 then for a good grade liner. The cost of the liner will depend on the grade of liner you are buying. He priced some the other day, and it seems the liner will now cost us around 1000 for the same grade. Installed here by a company costs 2500 or more for the same.

It can be done with a sump pump and some man power. I will say it wasn't a big deal, but I was only supervising. As far as the "how to", maybe someone else can give you more info on that. I will just say, it can be done.

And I agree with Bama. 1500 is a good price.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.