Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Replacing an inground pool vinyl liner yourself?

Replacing an inground pool vinyl liner yourself?

I'm not due for a new liner at the moment, but I know that in the next couple of years I'll be to that point. I had always assumed that I'd have to get a pool guy (in my case, the builder) to do the install. However, I saw a reply to another post that said something about being able to do this yourself. This sparked my interest because I'm all for going DIY and saving some cost. Does anyone have info/links on where I could look to see what kind of cost savings I would be looking at or how tough this type of install might be?

My neighbor had their liner replaced last year in a slightly larger pool, by the same builder for $1500, so it would have to be a pretty good deal on a DIY liner for me to consider it.

Thanks
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

Re: Replacing an inground pool vinyl liner yourself?

For $1500 including the liner I wouldn't even consider DIYing it. The liners are close to that much. And the burden is on them to get the floor perfectly clean and smooth.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

We replaced our last liner DIY. Granted, I was just supervising (and the beverage supplier) the husband and his friend (who both used to install pools), it took about a day of labor to get it all done. The trick is in the measurements. Our pool is an older 18 X 36 pool with the sharp corners so it would not take a regular 18 X 36 liner. It had to be measured to specifics. This was 10 years ago (our pool will get a new liner next year) and the cost was around 800 then for a good grade liner. The cost of the liner will depend on the grade of liner you are buying. He priced some the other day, and it seems the liner will now cost us around 1000 for the same grade. Installed here by a company costs 2500 or more for the same.

It can be done with a sump pump and some man power. I will say it wasn't a big deal, but I was only supervising. As far as the "how to", maybe someone else can give you more info on that. I will just say, it can be done.

And I agree with Bama. 1500 is a good price.

18 X 36 IG 24200 Gallons
    Vinyl Liner
    Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit

For what it's worth, my pool is an "athletic" style. Not sure if that's the right term but that's what I've heard it called. It's shallow on both ends and deeper in the middle. Not sure how this would affect the DIY install.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator