Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbing Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing Question

thanks in advance for any help you can provide....

I am going to Hard pipe my new AG pool...(installation in the next few weeks) and I have a few questions. The pool is going to be about 25 feet away from the equipment pad. I have a 1 and 1/2 HP pump. Is that enough? My other question is I am installing a Heat Pump and the commections are 2 inch, everythign else is 1 1/2 inch. what do I use??? 2 inch pipe or 1 1/2 inch. Does it matter? I have read that with 2 inch I will get a better flow and that would help with the distance but If I have to put a bunch of reducers to fit the other equipment will that off set the pipe size?

Any help would be greatful
    24' Round AG, 54" wall height, 22" sand filter
    1 1/2 HP pump, 104 BTU Hayward Heat Pump
    Rockland County, NY

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plumbing Question

I can not say the 1.5 HP is enough, although I would think it would be.

Using the larger pipe whenever you can will certainly help lower your head loss and increase flow. It should only be a small additional cost to run 2" pipe everywhere and use reducer fittings when required.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

jblizzle... thank you for the response... any idea how I can find out if the pump size will be ok...
    24' Round AG, 54" wall height, 22" sand filter
    1 1/2 HP pump, 104 BTU Hayward Heat Pump
    Rockland County, NY

4. Back To Top    #4

Add some more specifics:
    Pump manufacturer, model, service factor, etc [AG pumps seems to have very different flow rates than IG pumps of the same HP]
    How many suctions runs (assuming only 1)
    How many return runs (also probably just 1) ... how many and size of eyeballs.

Hopefully Mark (mas985) will see the thread respond with his expert calculations.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a 24' x 52" pool with a 1½ sfhp pump and the equipment is a good 25' from the pool and it's ran in 1½" pipe underground all the way, and it's more than enough pump for the pool. Your's will be fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit