Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Umbrella in sun shelf pros/cons

1. Back To Top    #1

Umbrella in sun shelf pros/cons

Hi- we are considering putting an umbrella in our sunshelf..looking for any pros/cons...

Thanks!
    32,000 gallon, inground gunite, Blue Granite pebblesheen with luminous and shimmering sea shells

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Umbrella in sun shelf pros/cons

I'd think it would be a good thing. Shade when you want it, none when you don't. Just make sure what ever umbrella you go with doesn't have a wood pole or it will swell and get stuck in the sleeve in the deck.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

3. Back To Top    #3

we have one in ours and it's awesome to be able to provide shade during the hot part of the day.

+1 on the wood pole. we bought umbrella's with metal/aluminum posts

you might also having them place randomly on your deck as well.

good luck!
    17,800 gallons, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, Inground, Blue Granite Pebblesheen Interior, Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 Pool and Spa pump, Pentair Whisperflo 2HP Water Feature pump, Pentair .75 HP Booster Pump for Pentair Legend pool cleaner, Pentair EasyTouch 8-function remote, Pentair IntelliChlor SWG.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, so it's safe to assume that all umbrellas have the same diameter pole and will fit into the hole that is permanently in our top step?
    32,000 gallon, inground gunite, Blue Granite pebblesheen with luminous and shimmering sea shells

5. Back To Top    #5

Most if not all patio umbrellas have the same diameter pole in respect to the over all size of the umbrella 9', 10', etc. the three we have all have aluminum poles and are the same size. They all came from seperate stores; two from sam's, one from wal mart. One is a 9 footer and the others may be a 9 as well. One is market style the other two are not so they look diff sizes to me.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

6. Back To Top    #6

we chose to put ours in the deck near the edge cause i read that sometimes the pole can crack the plaster.

7. Back To Top    #7

We love ours near the edge of the shelf. It will basically cover the entire area as well as the standing area in the pool next to it. Looks nice, too.
    16,000 IGP with Spa - Quad 80 DE - WET Midnight Sea Satin surface - Intelliflow VSP (3hp) - EasyTouch 4 - TFT100 w/ Speed Stir (best thing evah)

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok..so the pool company is coming out tomorrow to drill our gunnited shelf...is this just supposed to be a 'waterproofed' hole or should they be putting in some sort of insert with a cap? How deep is the hole supposed to be so that the umbrella doesn't tip over? Thanks..

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Kristina
    Ok..so the pool company is coming out tomorrow to drill our gunnited shelf...is this just supposed to be a 'waterproofed' hole or should they be putting in some sort of insert with a cap? How deep is the hole supposed to be so that the umbrella doesn't tip over? Thanks..
    we love ours and we got it exactly right

1) know where the sun rises and sets for optimal placement
    2) people will hit their head on it as they walk by (it will be lower than if it is in a normal stand because the shelf is below the deck) so try to place it so it doesnt overhang the deck. for us this meant moving it closer to the steps and away from the coping.
    3) our builder didnt do this, but my neighbors insert has a pvc ring sleeve around the edge that overlaps with the plaster. Mine just cut some PVC pipe which doesnt look very nice

http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/best ... US103/5840
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

10. Back To Top    #10

Since it is now pouring rain here (again) it buys me some time to be sure the builder uses that part- seems perfect. Thanks

11. Back To Top    #11

Ours was created by inserting a capped 1 1/2" PVC pipe prior to gunnite and then plastered in. It works great. I don't keep the umbrella in the insert - only when in use. The paint eventually wears off the aluminum pole, so minimizing it's exposure is best. The insert works great. If you don't have your pool plastered, have them drill a hole and insert the PVC pipe and then add some concrete to the bottom of the pipe. Inserts work the best. You won't have to worry about any gunnite issues.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Great news for us...hole is in shelf and umbrella sleeve is on its way by tomorrow...plastering to take place Fri/Sat...Thanks for everyone's help!

13. Back To Top    #13

My pool builder drilled me a 1 1/2 inch wide hole 6 inch deep. Told him dont think that dimensions are going to work. I just spoke to aquastar pool supply and they said sleeve only fits a 2 inch umbrella. I asked if a smaller would fit they said made for 2 inch. She did not seem to have a lot of info on product so I am wondering if anyone else has product and can tell me if can hold a thinner 1 1/2 inch with out any issues. Is the umbrela suppose to stay snug as to avoid lifting up? Thanks
    Freeform gunite, 14,000 gallon saltwater sport pool.
    10 ton moss rock w/ waterfall, 50 sq ft raised spa.
    Bluestone coping, pebblesheen. Jandy pro flo 1 hp pump, legacy 325k heater.

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

I imagine a smaller pole will still work. If it wobbles to much for your liking I'm sure you can just insert a section of PVC pipe to act as a bushing.

FWIW, tractor supply has an awesome 11'er right now with a 1.88" pole for just $95. Yes, I said 11 feet!

15. Back To Top    #15

The one at tractor supply has a wood pole.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG