Scale treatment sanity check

Bart

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Northern Virginia
I just had my pool opened by Anthony and Sylvan (the builders and the only ones who have opened and closed it). All the surfaces were covered with white bumps which felt like sand paper or worse on your feet. Through TPF and talking to the pool company, I determined it's calcium scale (gunnite pool with SWG, 2nd year being opened).

Here's what they told me to do to remove the scale and get the surfaces back to their original smooth condition:

Remove the Polairus, and shut off the pump.
Add 4 gallons Muriatic Acid (30,000 gal pool)
Add 2 quarts "Les Iron"
Brush the walls to mix in the acid.
Continue brushing a few times a day to remove the scale that is loosened by the acid
When the scale is gone (3 days was the prediction) add pH Raise and stabilizer and brush to mix in.
Test ph and adjust until it's good and then turn on the pump

Does this make sense?
Do you think the timeline is right? They said after 2 or 3 days all the scale would be gone.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Bart

What they're having you do is a no drain acid wash. You can use the Google search at the bottom of the page to search for it and read up on how it's done and what to expect. I doesn't seem like they had you add enough acid but ti may be plenty. You'll know once you've completed the wash.

You can prevent the scaling by keeping your chems in balance. You have your own test kit don't you?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.