Replacing pump/downsizing?

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
Got a leaky pump under warranty I yanked and took to the pool dealer today. They should have some tomorrow. Current pump is a Speck 1.5 horse driving my 250 lb. sand filter.
They will get pumps in 1 and 1.5 hp. Serioulsy consdiering downsizing the hp to 1 since I feel it will allow the filter to catch some finer dirt. The 1.5 horse currently really puts out the volume on the return. You can almost ride the wave or get a nice massage standing in front of it. Is this a good or bad idea?

Well, it would save you some on electricity to get a smaller pump (you have the option of a 2-speed?). Although it is sometime hard to compare pumps without knowing the Service Factors in addition to the HP.

There are some threads mentioning a worry about having a pump that is too small to adequately backwash sand filters ... although I would think that a 1HP would still be enough.

The ideal situation would be going to the E71-II-2 2-speed. It'll move 60 gpm at about 45' of head on high. It'd be plenty to backwash your filter. Even the E71-I-2 would be enough unless you have a very long backwash line. It pumps 60 gpm at 32' of head.

Thanks guys. Would I have to change any of the electrical wiring/timer to go with a 2 speed pump? I have no idea what makes them ""switch speeds" so to speak.
Pump is located only 5 feet from the pool btw and my backwash line is buried pvc all downhill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.