Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing pump/downsizing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing pump/downsizing?

Got a leaky pump under warranty I yanked and took to the pool dealer today. They should have some tomorrow. Current pump is a Speck 1.5 horse driving my 250 lb. sand filter.
    They will get pumps in 1 and 1.5 hp. Serioulsy consdiering downsizing the hp to 1 since I feel it will allow the filter to catch some finer dirt. The 1.5 horse currently really puts out the volume on the return. You can almost ride the wave or get a nice massage standing in front of it. Is this a good or bad idea?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing pump/downsizing?

Well, it would save you some on electricity to get a smaller pump (you have the option of a 2-speed?). Although it is sometime hard to compare pumps without knowing the Service Factors in addition to the HP.

There are some threads mentioning a worry about having a pump that is too small to adequately backwash sand filters ... although I would think that a 1HP would still be enough.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The ideal situation would be going to the E71-II-2 2-speed. It'll move 60 gpm at about 45' of head on high. It'd be plenty to backwash your filter. Even the E71-I-2 would be enough unless you have a very long backwash line. It pumps 60 gpm at 32' of head.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. Would I have to change any of the electrical wiring/timer to go with a 2 speed pump? I have no idea what makes them ""switch speeds" so to speak.
    Pump is located only 5 feet from the pool btw and my backwash line is buried pvc all downhill.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

If you want the timer to switch speeds you'll have to have a new one or an add-on if it's an intermatic. If you want to switch the speed manually you can use the timer you have.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit