Sand Filter plus cartridge filter inline questions

Apr 16, 2012
Hello,
We are going to be getting a 16x32 above ground pool this spring and had questions on filtration. The Intex pool comes with a sand filter. I have been doing some googling on this. Looks like the sand filter is the worst in filtering small particles ~30microns. I was wondering if anyone has put a cartridge filter AFTER the sand filter since the cartridge filter can go to ~10microns. I was thinking that if it is places after the sand then it would not get plugged up very quickly by the bigger particles and the water would be much clearer, especailly for night swimming.

Or am I just over thinking filtration here? I had an Intex 15' round pool with a cartige that I needed to clean weekly since it was getting clogged by the big stuff.

Second question..
We live in Idaho and we need solar heating. I was wondering where is the best postion to place the heating coils are, with regards to before or after the filtration. The Sand filter comes with a Salt Water Generator incorporated in it. I know that the generators produce air bubbles, so my first thought is to have the heater before the filtration so it does not get air in it, but in most information sites, it says to place after the filtration station. I was also assuming that if it was after the filter and SWG the folw of the water would just push out the bubbles and would be of no concern. Just not sure which thinking on this is more correct.

Thanks
Tony

trhardy said:
The Intex pool comes with a sand filter. I have been doing some googling on this. Looks like the sand filter is the worst in filtering small particles ~30microns. I was wondering if anyone has put a cartridge filter AFTER the sand filter since the cartridge filter can go to ~10microns. I was thinking that if it is places after the sand then it would not get plugged up very quickly by the bigger particles and the water would be much clearer, especailly for night swimming.

Or am I just over thinking filtration here? I had an Intex 15' round pool with a cartige that I needed to clean weekly since it was getting clogged by the big stuff.
The sand filter will be much better than you previous intex cartridge filter. The Intex cartridge filter are notorious for being poor at filtering. People have put filters in series, but imo that tends to be extra work/energy compared to a properly maintained, sand filtered pool that is still quite clear.

You definitely want the solar panels after the filter. Ideally they should be before the SWG, but if that is not possible then afterwards will do.

There is no real point in putting two filters in series, it lowers the overall system efficiency and makes for more total work, while filtering the same as the better filter.

Sand filters are really very good, even if they aren't as good as the better cartridge filters. The differences are small enough that not everyone can even see any difference (though many can).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.