Adding a small, basic slide

K G G

Apr 16, 2012
NW Houston
Hello All,

Our small kids are asking about adding a small slide to the side of our pool and I am not in the market for a $600-$1K version unfortunately.

Two options come to mind:

1. Inflatable:
http://www.target.com/p/Intex-Water-Sli ... u=11936316
I am wondering about the hassle of inflating, storing and longevity for this one. Flagstone coping and pebble cement might be harsh. Plus securing this like a tent does not seem sturdy to me.

2. Kids slide:
http://www.target.com/p/Big-Folding-Sli ... u=11136563
I am comfortable with rigging up a cemented spike-stabilizer support, similar to a swingset for this. It appears more sturdy IMO.

Anyone having thoughts or comments, actually done this?
BTW - I AM familiar with the insurance, risk etc aspects - please post accordingly.
Thanks.

We've been using the Target version for 4 years now. Works good for little kids. Just dump some water on it, and the wet suits will take it from there.

We never anchored it down, but would make sure the edge is slightly over the edge of the pool.

Well, we (read: wife) purchased the Intex inflatable slide after all and we have been using it for a full week now.

Observations:

* get an electric air pump from the camping section (~$15.), neither blowing in person nor a car compressor will do. We used the car compressor first and it took 4 hrs - yikes. With the electric camping version we got all 7 section to capacity in 15-20 mins.

* that thing is large, and very sturdy built ! We had two to three 6-yr olds at the same time on it and it hardly compressed

* the "extension" slide in the front is best kept deflated and tucked underneath (fits perfect under the "crossbar"), as it almost prohibits sliding into the water. The front of the slide extends plenty into the pool already

* the hose hookup can be used, but with wet suits and kids up-and-down is not needed. It may overfill your pool quickly

* get ready for a lot of grass or sand in your pool, unless it can be set on stone alone :)

* the footsteps fill up with grass, dirty water etc. Best to tip the slide over after use and/or rinse out.

* It holds up very well in strong winds. We live in a non-wind-protected area and the slide did not budge this weekend during a heavy storm

Summary: Well worth <$100.-

Check with your local hardware stores, I know the local Ace Hardware dealer sells wood swing set kits with various options, they have 3 different slides available, I think all are under $150, I think a 6 ft straight slide, was well as 6 and 8 ft wavy slides, built a wood A frame and steps, and suspend a misting hose over it. Total cost investment likely under $250 for examples online look here
http://www.swing-n-slide.com/Categories/6-Slides.aspx
Also try the search on here, there was a long thread on this last year

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.