Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding a small, basic slide

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding a small, basic slide

Hello All,

Our small kids are asking about adding a small slide to the side of our pool and I am not in the market for a $600-$1K version unfortunately.

Two options come to mind:

1. Inflatable:
    http://www.target.com/p/Intex-Water-Sli ... u=11936316
    I am wondering about the hassle of inflating, storing and longevity for this one. Flagstone coping and pebble cement might be harsh. Plus securing this like a tent does not seem sturdy to me.

2. Kids slide:
    http://www.target.com/p/Big-Folding-Sli ... u=11136563
    I am comfortable with rigging up a cemented spike-stabilizer support, similar to a swingset for this. It appears more sturdy IMO.

Anyone having thoughts or comments, actually done this?
    BTW - I AM familiar with the insurance, risk etc aspects - please post accordingly.
    Thanks.
    Build Mar '11: 12400 Gal, Gunite/White Plaster, Chlorine Pool with Spa and 3 Waterfalls over natural (sealed) rock. All Pentair Equipment: chlorine feeder, pumps and cartridge filter.
    Gets nearly 100% sun, no leaves, LOTS of wind, and plenty of sand from ongoing development around us.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding a small, basic slide

We've been using the Target version for 4 years now. Works good for little kids. Just dump some water on it, and the wet suits will take it from there.

We never anchored it down, but would make sure the edge is slightly over the edge of the pool.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks.. they are both from Target... which one are u using ?
    Build Mar '11: 12400 Gal, Gunite/White Plaster, Chlorine Pool with Spa and 3 Waterfalls over natural (sealed) rock. All Pentair Equipment: chlorine feeder, pumps and cartridge filter.
    Gets nearly 100% sun, no leaves, LOTS of wind, and plenty of sand from ongoing development around us.

4. Back To Top    #4

Whoops....plastic/kids slide.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

5. Back To Top    #5

TY. I think I will get one of those and try it out.

6. Back To Top    #6

Adding a small, basic slide

Let us know how you like it?
    I am thinking about trying this on our deck
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

ok. will do.
    might be a few weeks though

8. Back To Top    #8

I am interested in the same info. Which is best?

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, we (read: wife) purchased the Intex inflatable slide after all and we have been using it for a full week now.

Observations:

* get an electric air pump from the camping section (~$15.), neither blowing in person nor a car compressor will do. We used the car compressor first and it took 4 hrs - yikes. With the electric camping version we got all 7 section to capacity in 15-20 mins.

* that thing is large, and very sturdy built ! We had two to three 6-yr olds at the same time on it and it hardly compressed

* the "extension" slide in the front is best kept deflated and tucked underneath (fits perfect under the "crossbar"), as it almost prohibits sliding into the water. The front of the slide extends plenty into the pool already

* the hose hookup can be used, but with wet suits and kids up-and-down is not needed. It may overfill your pool quickly

* get ready for a lot of grass or sand in your pool, unless it can be set on stone alone

* the footsteps fill up with grass, dirty water etc. Best to tip the slide over after use and/or rinse out.

* It holds up very well in strong winds. We live in a non-wind-protected area and the slide did not budge this weekend during a heavy storm

Summary: Well worth <$100.-

10. Back To Top    #10

Check with your local hardware stores, I know the local Ace Hardware dealer sells wood swing set kits with various options, they have 3 different slides available, I think all are under $150, I think a 6 ft straight slide, was well as 6 and 8 ft wavy slides, built a wood A frame and steps, and suspend a misting hose over it. Total cost investment likely under $250 for examples online look here
    http://www.swing-n-slide.com/Categories/6-Slides.aspx
    Also try the search on here, there was a long thread on this last year
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11

While this is not the inflatable one you mentioned. I don't think I would ever us an inflatable slide for a pool.

http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/story/11086560/
    IG Vinyl liner, 21,500G sport bottom, TR-60 sand filter, 3/4 HP Whisper Flow, BBB with 12.5% Liquid Chlorine

12. Back To Top    #12

kids and wet or drunk adults can get hurt on hard slides as easy imo.
    Safe usage is key and the intec we have is sturdy and not too tall.

13. Back To Top    #13

Isaac-1, would you mind posting a pic of your slide & frame? We are also wanting to put a slide in for our grandchildren & would love to see it! Thanks!!
    19,000 IG Pacific Blue plaster,raised spa with spillover,rock waterfall, Jandy 2.5 HP pump,Pentair sand filter,Paramount in floor cleaning system, Jandy Aquapure SWG, Aqualink remote

14. Back To Top    #14

I don't have one installed (at least not yet), just helped an ex-coworker out with setting up one
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~