Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Booster Pump ran w/o main pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Booster Pump ran w/o main pump

Good Day Everyone,
    We have our first pool build last year and are wrapping our hands around a lot of things to learn.
    Do to mis-setting the timers, we ran the booster pump for the pool cleaner (Pentair 280) without the main pumps running.
    Other than the vacuum not doing the cleaning (lack of pressure I presume), it moved around the bottom and neither pump nor vac seem to be effected.
    Should the pump be inspected, could it "burn out" from this?

Secondly anyhting bad happening if both pumps are running but the vacuum is disconnected?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Build Mar '11: 12400 Gal, Gunite/White Plaster, Chlorine Pool with Spa and 3 Waterfalls over natural (sealed) rock. All Pentair Equipment: chlorine feeder, pumps and cartridge filter.
    Gets nearly 100% sun, no leaves, LOTS of wind, and plenty of sand from ongoing development around us.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Booster Pump ran w/o main pump

If everything is working correctly you'll most likely be fine. You may have put a little strain on it but it's probably no worse for wear.

Running the pumps without the vac attached won't hurt either.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

TY Dave. I had hoped so
    Build Mar '11: 12400 Gal, Gunite/White Plaster, Chlorine Pool with Spa and 3 Waterfalls over natural (sealed) rock. All Pentair Equipment: chlorine feeder, pumps and cartridge filter.
    Gets nearly 100% sun, no leaves, LOTS of wind, and plenty of sand from ongoing development around us.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Have you thought about wiring your timers so that this can't happen? Running your booster pump by itself can damage the shaft seal.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

5. Back To Top    #5

"wiring your timers" ... how would I do that?

I have the very basic yellow dials, with thumbscrews to set start times. And how would that avoid one of two dials being set wrong?

6. Back To Top    #6

What are the model numbers of the timers?
    Are they in the same enclosure?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Sounds like you have intermatic timers. I'll do the best I can to describe how it's done.

1.) Extend wires on booster pump timer motor to the line side of filter pump timer. Timer motor wires will be small white wires that come from the back of the mechanisms. Basically you're extending the ones from the booster pump to connec to the same terminal as the filter pump timer motor wires. This will ensure your timers never get out of sync.

2.) Run power wires from load side of filter pump timer to line side of booster pump timer. This will only power your booster pump when the filter pump has power.

If you're uncomfortable with electrical work, call a neighbor.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

8. Back To Top    #8

I have to look up the model numbers... and yes they are in the same enclosure (electrical box) by themselves.

I think I got the wiring concept (and am comfortable with it). TY.

Could one still set the timers differently by accident and would the wiring force the clocks to "catch up" ?

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

They won't catch up, but they will always be the same amount of time different and your booster pump will only turn on when your pool pump is on

10. Back To Top    #10

Gotcha. IN what position would the manual ON/OFF levers (orange tipped below the clocks) have to be set?

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Nothing changes with those either. The trippers will do all the work for you.

12. Back To Top    #12

ok. TY. I might do this small project this weekend.