CPSC36 Question

Apr 3, 2012
Does the Compupool CPSC36 have a plug-in for your pool pump? The manual on their website states that it does but I have read some posts saying it does not. If not, what is a good external timer for running the SWG and pump?

Hi Sturge33,

I just looked over the instructions again and I'm not seeing where it says it's a plug-in.

Right out of the manual:
Input Power
The Compu Pool CPSC/CPA Series comes with a terminated
power cord that should be plugged directly into the external
time clock unit. For Canadian installations: Connect to a circuit
protected by a Class-A ground fault interrupter.

The Keyword in the above is terminated. Don't confuse the word "plugged" as an action. It would be better to read as "that should be wired directly into the external time clock unit"

Bonding
A lug for bonding is attached to the bottom of the Compu-
Pool CPSC/CPA Series enclosure. Connect to the pool bonding
system using minimum 8 AWG copper wire if required by code.

As for actual timers, that's going to depends on what you want. Mechanical or Electronic timer (examples shown here).
I personally use an Intermatic mechanical timer w/ metal box. It's hardwired into my houses breaker box, then the CompuPool is hardwired into the timer box that has two connections. One is for the SWCG and the other is for my pool pump.

I have the Intermatic T104R DPST 24 Hour Mechanical Time Switch -208-277 volt.

Ive never heard of that brand so im not sure about reliability or longevity, but thats me
But According to that mfg website, the CD105 is rated at 120 volts. That will require you to reswitch the compupool unit inside to accept 120 volts.
The have a CD106 that's rated 208-227 volts.
But either one can switch two non-isolated loads alternately.

Don't you mean the CD104?
http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/5227/PMC-CD104.html

That's a good price.... Man, I just bought the Intermatic from Lowes last night for $69, and I just found the same timer on Amazon for $54 and free shipping.... so the one from Lowes is going back to the store, and the other will come in Friday. I wasn't going to be able to rewire it until Sunday anyway.

Now I have to figure out what to do with my 120V Intermatic.

It is simple to change from 230 to 115, just be sure the wires are where they should be, in my case the red/orange wire was swapped, and I had to swap them back to make them match the manual. You'll know if it's wrong, because the unit won't turn on.

My system was wired for 115, and with a 20A breaker, it would occasionally trip after adding the SWG, even though it ramps power slowly upon power-up. I just put a dual pole breaker in my box and rewired the entire system for 230, so it should be easier on the electrical connections, wiring, & breakers. I had a main breaker for my outside box go bad on one side, and I'm guessing it's because of the pool causing more load on that one side. This box only powers the outside A/C unit and the pool pump.

I got the CPSC36 today and I'm really impressed with the build quality of it. It's much heavier than I expected. Did you have your swg and pump on the same circuit? The unit has a sticker on the bottom that states Input Rating: 9.5 amps. Will that be too much current for a 20 amp breaker with the pump on it too?

The usual setup is to wire both the SWG and the pump to the same breaker. The SWG doesn't actually draw anything even close to 9.5 amps. Most likely it is somewhere between 0.5 and 2 amps. That is small enough that it almost always works out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.