Skimmer Gasket

Mar 28, 2012
London, ON CDN
Hello everyone, I just have a quick question about an in ground 16x32 rectangular pool and the skimmer. I just recently purchased this house this past fall and I am getting ready to open the pool this spring. I had slipped the hose under the cover this weekend and started to fill the pool back up. I stopped just short of the skimmer when I noticed some minor rust stains on the bottom corners of the skimmer inlet facing the pool. The liner in this pool was replaced in 2007, and at that time according to the invoices I have from the previous home owner this new liner included any minor repairs and new covers and gaskets.

Long story short from what I have read, rust stains around the skimmer inlet shroud is a sure sign of a leak. Is it a big deal to unscrew the shroud and replace the gasket myself or is it something best left to a pool company.

Thanks
Brad

The skimmer faceplate is held down by screws. The faceplate will often be covered by a snap-on cover plate. If you can't see the skimmer screws, then you are looking at a snap-on cover plate. If you can remove the plate, then you can check the screws.

Note: The snap-on cover plates can sometimes be tricky to remove without breaking them.

Thanks for the quick responses guys! I will see if I can find my camera today and snap a photo of it. The rectangular plate has 16 screws in it and I am assuming they are stainless steel screws?

[attachment=2:3m4aevow]Front_Left.jpg[/attachment:3m4aevow]
[attachment=1:3m4aevow]Front_Right.jpg[/attachment:3m4aevow]
[attachment=0:3m4aevow]Inside_Left.jpg[/attachment:3m4aevow]

Is it normal for a skimmer gasket to start to go after only 5 Years? Is there only one or two gaskets under these plates?

Brad

Attachments

• Front_Left.jpg
    Front_Left.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 258
  • Front_Right.jpg
    Front_Right.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 254
  • Inside_Left.jpg
    Inside_Left.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 251
You have a little screw rusting going on but it doesn't look bad. I'd pull the faceplate off and see what's going on behind it.

The gasket should actually be a butterfly gasket. It wraps around the liner and pool wall to seal both sides against the slimmer plate and body.

Bama Rambler said:
You have a little screw rusting going on but it doesn't look bad. I'd pull the faceplate off and see what's going on behind it.

The gasket should actually be a butterfly gasket. It wraps around the liner and pool wall to seal both sides against the slimmer plate and body.

Just wondering if there is a chance the liner just under the skimmer could slip down after taking the outside ring off. My only concern is that the holes don’t line up again and then I am in big trouble. :shock: The gasket on there right now looks like a two piece cork style. One is between the liner and the skimmer and the other between the ring and the liner. Should this gasket be the butterfly style instead?

NWCanuck not that I am aware of a butterfly gasket for inground. Aboveground yes. If it is a Hayward skimmer most likely you have a two piece cork. Be very careful if you take it off. If it slips down you may end up replacing the liner. If it was me I would check to make sure screws were tight, then put some silicone around the inside of the opening where you can see liner and gasket.

swimcmp said:
NWCanuck not that I am aware of a butterfly gasket for inground. Aboveground yes. If it is a Hayward skimmer most likely you have a two piece cork. Be very careful if you take it off. If it slips down you may end up replacing the liner. If it was me I would check to make sure screws were tight, then put some silicone around the inside of the opening where you can see liner and gasket.

Thanks for the reply swimcmp. After reading up on it and talking to some pool techs in town they are all offering a similar fix to leaving it in place and going the bead of silicone route. All have mentioned the possibility of the liner slipping down under the skimmer. The liner is 5 years old now so maybe in another 5-7 years when I have it replaced I will make sure that special attention is paid to the skimmer area on the new install. I just don't want water seepage to cause any corrosion to the side wall of the pool around the skimmer until that time.

Brad

I think that you most likely have a metal wall that has rusted a little bit. That can leak rust like you are seeing even if the gasket is properly sealed. I think that I would make sure that the screws are snug, but not overly tight. Then I would lower the water level to allow the area to dry and then apply a bead of aquarium silicone around the inside to seal it up.

http://www.sears.com/dap-dow-corning-aq ... 718044001P

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am having the same problem. I have the same Hayward skimmer plate. The screws are rusting due to my salt water at a rapid rate. Cheap screws. I plan on replacing my skimmer. Does anyone know the exact model # of the skimmer plate in the picture above?

The screws are not cheap whatis causing "rust" of a stainless steel screws is stray electric current running off from your generator. To combat this put a sacrificial anode in your system. It won't prevent but it will soften the appearance of rust.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.