Shallow End - Wall Depth or Water Depth?

reesedj

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 11, 2012
Chicago, IL
We are in the final stages of working with our PB on the permit process. We've decided on a 16x30 Kidney (Polymer Wall), splurging on a couple extra features (deck jets, "beach" area).

We do not want a deep end, but rather a flat bottom rec pool. It will be used by adults ranging in height from 5'2" to 6'2".

I have a question regarding depth.....

When I read forum posts are other internet postings, when someone refers to 4' depth - Are they speaking about the wall depth or actual water depth?

We even emailed a resort in Mexico where our family has visited a couple times to gauge their pool depths. They replied 4' - but we're unsure if that is actual water or wall depth?? Is there an industry standard that when you refer to pool depth, you are referring to the water level?

We're shooting for 4' water depth throughout - which should be comfortable for all swimmers/loungers, but don't want to get mixed up and end up 6" short.

Thanks for the help - I'll keep everyone posted along the process!

Doug

Most polymer wall panels are 42" then you will lose approximately two inches to pool base or some other base material for your liner to rest on. Then you will lose some depth to the freeboard above the water level. If you are wanting a true four feet of water you will probably want about 4' 6" of depth

My pool is built with 48" polymer walls and I have a 3'6" water depth. If you are going for a 4'6" depth the walls will be layed and then dug down to get you the 4'6" water depth. Make sure you are saying water depth and not wall height. I have several friends and after they built their pool no deep end. They now regret it. After being in my pool ang going down slide and on diving board they really are kicking them selves. Make sure this is what you really want. Costs too much to go back later. and lots less now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.