Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Upgrade

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Upgrade

I just bought a house with a 25K gallon in ground pool. I am interested in upgrading to a variable speed pump but am unsure what would be compatible. I do like the reviews I have read on the Hayward EcoStar but I am not sure if it would be a direct replacement.

Currently the pool as a M Centurion for Pac Fab
    3/4HP
    1.67SF
    RPM 3450
    HZ 60
    Volts 208-230/115

I believe the filter is sand. PackFab SuperFlow PF-50.

Thank you
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Aqua Genie Skimmer/Return
    Purex Triton Challenger wet end with Emerson 2EZ Speed Two-Speed with Timer Motor 3/4HP #EB2980T
    Sta-Rite 145361 Cristal-Flo II High-Rate Sand Filter 22Inch
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Upgrade

Welcome to TFP!

The first thing to check is to make sure you have the correct voltage and enough amps available to run a variable speed pump. Your current pump can be wired for either 120 volts or 240 volts. The variable speeds all require 240 volts. The variable speed will also draw a noticeably higher peak current. Check what kind and amp rating is on the pump circuit breaker. 240 volt circuit breakers have two levers connected by a bar, while 120 volt breakers have a single lever. A variable speed will tend to require 240 volts at 30 amps.

A variable speed pump will also be physically larger than your current pump. Most of the time this is not an issue, but if your pump is right next to something it could be an issue.

Variable speed pumps are only really worth it in money saved terms if your current electric rates are $0.20/kwh or higher. If your electric rates are below that, you should look into the possibility of getting a two speed pump, or just replacing the motor on your current pump with a two speed motor.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I am going to upgrade the main electrical box and I would make sure there is enough power to run a new pump. We move a month from today so I will have to check what the current breaker is for the existing pool pump. I will have to check the clearance since it is next to a garage. I saw a picture of a Jandy Variable pump and it looks huge compaired to a Pentair.

Energy Charge per (kilowatt-hour) kWh: June through September (summer) $0.06931.
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Purex Triton Challenger wet end with Emerson 2EZ Speed Two-Speed with Timer Motor 3/4HP #EB2980T
    Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Given your low electric cost a 2-speed probably makes more sense if you do not have any special water flow demands.

Posted with Tapatalk 2
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Nothing like a waterfall or anything cool like that. Thanks for the input. If you recommend a 2 speed then I will start researching those pumps.

It's been a childhood dream to have an in-ground pool.
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

Still need to confirm whether you are set up for 120 or 240. Also, what are your suction and return pipe diameters? Pentair whisperflo and superflo are nice.

Posted with Tapatalk 2
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I was told the electrical box was only 60 AMPs so I need to have it upgraded when we move in next month. I need to get over there and check the diameters of the pipes.

Currently there is a 3/4 hp but when I run the Hayward Energy Calculator they use a 2hp. Should upgrade to a 2HP if I do have a 25K gallon?
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Taylor K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

The house is 60 amps or your pool pad box is 60 amps? My pool pad is currently 20 amps.

The pump size depends on you pool setup. If it is just a basic pool with no spa or water features then a 3/4 or 1 HP 2 speed should be plenty.

Edit: I saw most of my questions were previously answered. I think 2 HP is way too big for the basic setup.
    Posted with Tapatalk 2
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Jason the house is 60 amps.

Garmar 25k is 25,000 gallons.
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Taylor K-2006