Fire Magic advice, should I get a sear burner??

Apr 2, 2012
Hello all,

Great forum and very informative. I am going to order a new Fire Magic Echelon 36" model on cart. It has 3 main burners (75,000 btu's), 1 IR rotis burner and a smoker burner. I can switch out one of the main burners for an IR burner for FREE. I am on the fence as too whether get the sear burner. Any Fire Magic owners or anyone with an IR sear burner out there that perhaps could shed some light on how well the sear burner works? How well does this bbq sear without IR? The burner does take up 1/3 of the real estate of the grill. I am told this grill gets plenty hot to sear without an IR burner. If I get the IR burner will I sacrifice even heat distribution not having the 3rd regular burner? (it does have zone divider plates) will the side with the IR burner create a cold spot?. Is the burner adjustable for heat, what temperature range does it have? To sear or not to sear??? I do cook plenty of steak, chicken, fish, veggies and regular burger fare. Any advice or opinions please.

THX

I do not have that grill but I am building a new outdoor kitchen and the grill I have has a side sear burner. I would not function without it for
Steaks or chicken. I sear every steak and it is amazing how much it locks in the flavor and juices. It sounds like the grill you are looking at is a good quality one and if the temps can be achieved by the normal burner then the results should be the same. But you bring up some good questions about the even heat and cold spots. I am not sure as mine is separate from the grill.

I probably would not use it on fish or much else but for steaks and chicken it's a must have in my book..

Wish I could add more.

divepool said:
I just ordered a Fire Magic and spoke to the owner and the temp that the std burner get to is more that enough to sear. This is not your std cheep grill or weber. the burners for the E790 are 25000btu each.

How is your new grill?

Grill is great. Main burners register at around 975 deg on full after 10 min. The zone dividers work well to keep the heat separated. Rotis is a little noisy. there's a learning curve to Low heat cooking and smoking and take some time to adjust the right balance. Haven't tried the side burner since the electrode came broken and I am waiting for a replacement.

Glad to hear that you like it. I was looking at Lynx and Fire Magic. Fire Magic has the better warranty and no ceramic brickets to replace. Can't wait to get it and use it. I have never used a side burner on any grill I have ever bought. Time will tell if I use this one. 975deg is hot, sear anything.

Rich

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.