Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can cool decking be stained?

1. Back To Top    #1

Northern California

Can cool decking be stained?

I have a 28 year old pool with a lot of cool decking around it. The cool decking is in really good shape, it's just ugly. It's kind of a pinkish or salmon color that has faded. We would like to stain it a darker color, or at the very least clean it really good. Can cool deck be stained and if it can what is the process? Second, if it can't be stained darker, can I acid wash it or something else to try and bring it back to life? Thanks for any input.
    32,000 Gallon Plaster Pool
    Hayward Aqua Plus 40k Gallon Chlorine Generator w/ Controls PL-PLUS
    Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump
    Polaris 3900 Sport Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Polaris 3/4 hp Booster Pump
    Pentair/PacFab Nautilus D.E. Filter 48 Sq Ft

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can cool decking be stained?

An acrylic deck top-coat can be put right over Kool Deck. You would loose some of the cooling effect of the Kool Deck material but you end up with the better durability and greater stain resistance of an acrylic deck (which I actually prefer). You can chose any color top-coat you want. The Kool Deck will act as the texture coat. I have done this and it worked quite well.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

near the swamp

Re: Can cool decking be stained?

Yes, clean it then roll on the color of your choice in 2 coats.