Going on vacation

Mar 27, 2009
After two year of using the BBB method and strictly liquid bleach, I have never been more troublefree in my 18x36 vinyl inground pool. However, this DOES take daily attention. What if all your CA, CYA, etc. parameters are right in the desired range and you go away on vacation for a week? I usually add a half gallon 6% liquid chlorine a day, and have had my neighbor follow up with a gallon every other day in the past, when we were away a few days. But, for a whole week? Any advice on how to use lithium hypo as a fill in for a week away without imposing that much on your neighbor?

You seem to have a pretty good feel for the needs of your pool. I would see if the neighbor can add chlorine for you daily while you are away. Short of a major pump failure or something along those lines you should not come home to anything so far out of whack that you can't fix it in short order. Also ask the neighbor to check the skimmer basket.

Each time I have left for a week or more I bring it up to shock level and have come home to no problems. This was without daily additions of cholorine. I bring up to shock level the night befor I leave and all is well. I usually got 2-3 FC above shock.

We usually recommend bringing the pool to shock level and cover it if you can, if there is no one available to add bleach for you. If the FCC has dropped below your recommended range while you were gone, raise it to shock level again.

I'd consider taking it to shock level and adding some pucks in a floating dispenser. I tie mine to the ladder rail so it doesn't end up sucked up to the skimmer while the pump is running. If your trip is in mid-summer.........you should have someone check your water level half way through and maybe dump in 2 jugs of bleach at one time to minimize their effort and time. That's my plan for Florida in July!

woodyp said:
I'd consider taking it to shock level and adding some pucks in a floating dispenser. I tie mine to the ladder rail so it doesn't end up sucked up to the skimmer while the pump is running. If your trip is in mid-summer.........you should have someone check your water level half way through and maybe dump in 2 jugs of bleach at one time to minimize their effort and time. That's my plan for Florida in July!

Careful how you tie it up. Chlorine gas from the floater is corrosive and I have a faded area in the liner and the rail above it has some corrosion where the floater would get stuck under the ladder. If you can tie it up in a manner that it can't get under the rails or touch the liner it should be o.k.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.