Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Going on vacation

1. Back To Top    #1

Going on vacation

After two year of using the BBB method and strictly liquid bleach, I have never been more troublefree in my 18x36 vinyl inground pool. However, this DOES take daily attention. What if all your CA, CYA, etc. parameters are right in the desired range and you go away on vacation for a week? I usually add a half gallon 6% liquid chlorine a day, and have had my neighbor follow up with a gallon every other day in the past, when we were away a few days. But, for a whole week? Any advice on how to use lithium hypo as a fill in for a week away without imposing that much on your neighbor?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Going on vacation

You seem to have a pretty good feel for the needs of your pool. I would see if the neighbor can add chlorine for you daily while you are away. Short of a major pump failure or something along those lines you should not come home to anything so far out of whack that you can't fix it in short order. Also ask the neighbor to check the skimmer basket.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Each time I have left for a week or more I bring it up to shock level and have come home to no problems. This was without daily additions of cholorine. I bring up to shock level the night befor I leave and all is well. I usually got 2-3 FC above shock.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

We usually recommend bringing the pool to shock level and cover it if you can, if there is no one available to add bleach for you. If the FCC has dropped below your recommended range while you were gone, raise it to shock level again.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd consider taking it to shock level and adding some pucks in a floating dispenser. I tie mine to the ladder rail so it doesn't end up sucked up to the skimmer while the pump is running. If your trip is in mid-summer.........you should have someone check your water level half way through and maybe dump in 2 jugs of bleach at one time to minimize their effort and time. That's my plan for Florida in July!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    I'd consider taking it to shock level and adding some pucks in a floating dispenser. I tie mine to the ladder rail so it doesn't end up sucked up to the skimmer while the pump is running. If your trip is in mid-summer.........you should have someone check your water level half way through and maybe dump in 2 jugs of bleach at one time to minimize their effort and time. That's my plan for Florida in July!

Careful how you tie it up. Chlorine gas from the floater is corrosive and I have a faded area in the liner and the rail above it has some corrosion where the floater would get stuck under the ladder. If you can tie it up in a manner that it can't get under the rails or touch the liner it should be o.k.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!