Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yet another Intex 18x48 Ultra Frame padding question

1. Back To Top    #1

Yet another Intex 18x48 Ultra Frame padding question

I'm still undecided between foam, gorilla pad, and sand. It will be going under an Intex 18x48 Ultra Frame. I've cut out the sod and swinging a 10' 2x4 around a pivot point the bubble stays in the center of the level, but the ground is still lumpy. This is making me lean toward sand, but the idea of a pad underneath does sound comfortable. Then again, how much would I be able to feel it? I do need to keep costs in mind too. Options, options, and more options. I miss the simplicity of the inflatable ring in regards to setup! The yard was level enough as it was for that.

Anybody have any thoughts, experiences or raves/regrets?

I almost forgot to ask about patio blocks! I'm thinking I should go ahead and use them since my pool has always seemed to be a neighborhood attraction, and as such has a lot of splashout which keeps the yard muddy. Seems to me they'd hold up better than wood would.
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' X 48" 7600 +/- gallons
    Columbia 50 LB sand filter/ HP pump, $$ WELL spent(2nd best thing bought for the pool)
    Virginia Beach, VA
    TF100 test kit- Money WELL spent (best thing I've ever bought for the pool)
    Leisure bay hot tub

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Yet another Intex 18x48 Ultra Frame padding question

My experience with a lot of sand wasn't that great. Last year I leveled my sight and then located and placed the patio pavers on top of the dirt, weed fabric and tarp instead of digging them in. I then added compressed sand up to the level of the pavers and it gave a firm and very flat bottom. The problem was that splashing constantly washed the sand out from around the edge and when it washed out around the pavers it left the concrete edges poking into the bottom of the liner. I tried a few remedies but nothing worked very well so I pushed sand back under the pool almost every day last year.
    This year I'm using sand again but in a different way. This time I spent a lot of time flattening and leveling the perimeter and dug in the pavers flush. The interior of my circle is bumpy but level so I raked in just enough sand to bring up the little valleys and flatten it all out.

Another problem with all of that sand was my neighbors cat. If I can ever catch that little demon I'm going to dye him blue and red or something.
    Intex 15x48, Intex Saltwater Chlorine Generator, Intex 14" Sand Filter, TF-100 unicorn eating spaghetti while riding a unicycle on a high wire during a storm edition test kit,

http://tftestkits.net

3. Back To Top    #3

I was thinking along that line too, Doc. Thanks for the input!
    Columbia 50 LB sand filter/ HP pump, $$ WELL spent(2nd best thing bought for the pool)
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Leisure bay hot tub

4. Back To Top    #4

I liked the idea of sand under ours at first. It seemed like it would be softer, but after sand compacts it's pretty much like stubbing your toe against concrete. If we ever replace ours we'll probably use the foam underlayment.
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, after cutting out the sod, then getting the dirt as level as I could, I put some sand down to fill in the low spots. I then put sown " fanfold just to have some cushion and another barrier underneath, then the tarp that came with the pool, then the pool itself. I'll dig in the pavers tomorrow after work, then get to filling it.

This pool seems massive compared to the 15' x 42" inflatable ring we had previously!
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Leisure bay hot tub

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Big_kid
    Ok, after cutting out the sod, then getting the dirt as level as I could, I put some sand down to fill in the low spots.
    Those "low spots" should not be where your pavers are. The pavers should go on solid ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_kid
    This pool seems massive compared to the 15' x 42" inflatable ring we had previously!
    I bet...this is quite an upgrade and should be really fun
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

I agree, the pavers will be in/on solid ground. The plan is to partially fill, see where the legs want to go, and so long as I can still lift/move them dig the pavers in where they need to be.

I think I may be looking forward to this more than the kids!
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Leisure bay hot tub

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, it's been filling since around 5:30- 6:00 this evening. It's currently getting some help from mother nature via a thunderstorm. It's supposed to clear up by tomorrow afternoon. Fingers crossed...

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg20 ... ol%202012/

The hose adapters that will go to the sand filter (NOT using the filter that came with the pool)

Virginia Beach, VA
    Leisure bay hot tub

9. Back To Top    #9

Looking good! Nice and level, pool bottom nice and smooth.

I envy you. We're just now putting in the paving stones for the leg supports.

I think I may be looking forward to this more than the kids!

I keep telling people that the kids and grandkids are welcome but, the pool is for my husband and me! I've wanted a pool for 40 years. Now I'm gonna have one!

Hope you and yours have a wonderful time in your new pool!
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

10. Back To Top    #10

Sorry, Taterfink- somehow I missed your reply! Somehow I got distracted, that's not too tough to do these days. If you notice in the pics, I got distracted between assembly and filling the pool. The pavers are still in a nice neat stack next to the shed.

We've been enjoying it as much as we can so far. Hope you have been too!
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Leisure bay hot tub

11. Back To Top    #11

Just so long as they're stacked neatly!

Maybe you could build a small patio with them???

Happy to hear you are enjoying the pool! I'm having a wonderful time with ours. My granddaughter and I are in our almost every day.

We finally got our pool set up about a month ago. We had 2 major storms hit during that time. I was beginning to fear that the pool would float away!

I have pictures on here somewhere that show the process I went thru right along with the flooding (inches not feet of water) around the pool from the storms. I kept having to pump water out of the pool to keep it from overflowing so much. I was afraid it would wash the sand out from under the step stones under the pool legs. Exciting times!

Here's the link to my pool set up.

the-process-of-installing-our-intex-26-x52-pool-t46052.html

This one shows the water standing around the bottom of my pool.

welcome-to-the-sunshine-state-t48338.html
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)