This will be my second year tending a pool and the first year went well thanks to this website. I did however cheat and use store bought chlorine and PH Plus. This year I want to use the BBB but need to understand it a little before jumping right in (no pun intended)
1- Where does everyone buy Baking Soda for the Alkalinity and 20 Mule Team Borax as a PH increaser?
• I live on Staten Island and the only Baking Soda I find are the little Arm & Hammer boxes for the fridge. As this will be used for a pool and not my fridge, I would think we are talking about much larger boxes.....no?
• Perhaps I need to pull my head out of my ***** like my wife always tells me, but I have never seen a 20 Mule Team Borax in any stores. Where should I be looking? Much like the bullet above, where do I buy large quantities of this?
2- I understand chlorine and bleach are sodium hypochlorite. By many posts on this site, many have claimed it and provided proof via the MSDS, but when Clorox states 6% sodium hypochlorite, what is the other 94% in the bottle (probably water). Is there anything in the 94% harmful to the pool that chlorine would not have?
Sorry if these questions are amateurish but as I have been only doing this for under 1 year therefore I still fall in the category of a newbie and permitted to sound foolish.