polaris 380 pressure relief valve leaking??

9needawin

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2011
Huntsville, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
new pool and Just doing my daily checks while waiting on the temps to warm up. I reached down to clean the little filter on the end of the polaris hose that goes into the wall. I heard and then felt air coming from the black cap that sits on the pressure relief valve. Is that normal? I unscrewed it and put it back on and it is still doing it.

Thanks.

Nope, it's doing what it's supposed to do....the pressure relief valve is supposed to let out whatever excess water pressure your polaris does not need. So, if you want it to stop "leaking" you can send less water to the polaris return, but then you run the risk of the unit not getting enough pressure.....As long as it's not super powerfully shooting out, I wouldn't worry. If it's shooting out pretty high pressure, you can reduce the flow to that return until it's just a little going out.

Hmmm, I forgot....you all have a booster pump. My 360 runs off of a regular return pipe, and I can control how much of the flow I divert toward it. I don't know how to do that with a booster pump model. It's probably fine anyway, the point of the valve is to keep your unit from going too fast, I think (LOL!!)

If your cleaner wheels are rotating at 28 - 32 RPM a leaking relief is not a problem. If the cleaner is running too slow it can be a problem. Polaris has had a lot of problems with their relief valves. I bought a new 280 year before last that was running far too slow.

I called Polaris to see what I was doing wrong and they had me check the relief and sure enough it was leaking by pretty badly. Polaris said they were having problems with those valves and sent me a new one - it leaked also. I finally removed the valve and replaced it with a plug and the Polaris started working just like it should and has been operating well since then.

Reactions: Margaret 73
If your cleaner wheels are rotating at 28 - 32 RPM a leaking relief is not a problem. If the cleaner is running too slow it can be a problem. Polaris has had a lot of problems with their relief valves. I bought a new 280 year before last that was running far too slow.

I called Polaris to see what I was doing wrong and they had me check the relief and sure enough it was leaking by pretty badly. Polaris said they were having problems with those valves and sent me a new one - it leaked also. I finally removed the valve and replaced it with a plug and the Polaris started working just like it should and has been operating well since then.

What plug (size and where to buy?) did you use?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.